Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
My dust collector is close to bottom of the line and it pulls about 20A. My lights are fluorescent and combined pull about another 20. I'd prefer to have more than 20A remaining. Sounds like your TS alone would consume that. Now you are on the edge and from what I've learned, 60A available doesn't always mean 60A is available. What if you are working on a project while your wife or friend is working on another? What if you want to add a mini fridge or TV?

I'd definitely say grab a 100A panel. If nothing else, it'll be a nice factor for resale
Are you serious. Your dust collector if its a 2 HP motor may draw lose to 20 amps, the table saw again I doubt it draws 20 amps. Both those things may draw close to 20 amps on start up only. 20 amps worth of fluorescent lighting? How many light are we talking. Really a mini fridge and TV are negligible in amperage draw.

I have 60 amps service. 60 amps is 60 on each of two legs so if your talking 110 volts you actually have 120 amps. I have a 10k and 12k but window units, 20 compact fluorescent bulbs and (20) 4' T-8 fluorescent bulbs, 4 floodlights, a stereo and or Tv, a mini fridge, dust collector, 4 HP ompressor (220v) and any number of power tools from a 3 HP 220 table saw down that can run at one time and the lights don't even dim.

My only problem to date is the drum sander overloading when I tried to take off to much at a time. Not a single other problem.

Now with that said, I don't disagree if your running the power run the 100 amp if you can. I disagree with our assumption of power consumption and view of how little can be ran on a 60 amp service panel.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Oh Great, another electric thread! :eek: All caveats apply for this advice, which is only general in nature, not specific as to wire sizes etc. So, based on personal experience......

You will want as many slots in your new 100 AMP panel as possible.:yes: I have 5, yes 5, Square D - CO panels with 32 slots. This allows for up to 16 double pole (220 V) breakers which require 2 slots per breaker. My other 2 panels are 225 AMPS and 175 AMPs. The electric company loves me.... :laughing:

Your dust collector needs 20 AMPs from one leg of the 220 supply and requires only one single pole breaker.

Unless you have more than one person operating more than one machine each, you will never need the full 100 AMPs. However the sum total of the breakers can easily exceed 100 AMPs as long as the sub panel main breaker is rated at 100 AMPs. Make certain it has a main breaker so you can shut down the entire shop with one trip of the breaker.
Bill all those service panels and I probably still pay more for power then you. Freaking heat and humidity here sucks.:laughing:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.