Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
As an Electrician by trade, A 100 amp panel should be plenty. You can get one with 20 or 30 slots. If your shop is 1,000 square feet or more I would recommend a panel with 30 slots, otherwise 20 would be fine. The size of your subpanel would also depend on the size of your main panel. You can't really have a subpanel the same size or bigger than the main panel that is feeding it.

Thanks for the info. My shop is about 800 sq. ft. Current panel has 12 slots I believe and a 12 slot sub panel should be plenty for my needs I would imagine.

http://www.acetoolonline.com/JET-JJ-6CSX-6-Closed-Stand-Jointer-Tilting-Fence-p/jet-708457k.htm

Can you answer this question for me? Take this tool for example, it can run on 110 or 230V. It will draw 6.5A @ 230V is there any reason I cannot wire the machine for 230V and attach a 20A plug on the end of it to plug into a 240v 20A outlet?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The gauge of the wire on the power cord of the tool it self doesn't really matter since the tool isn't going to draw more than the 13 amps it is rated at for 110 volts anyways. The rating of the plug and receptacle are just what they can withstand, it doesn't mean that is how much amperage is there. A 15 amp 240 volt plug would also work but if you already have a 20 amp plug, it is fine.
Thanks, electrical stuff has always confused me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.