Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I ran 60 and haven't came close to exceeding it as the most I can run at any one time is one tool, dust collection, lights and air filtration. Can you convert your saw and or dust collector to 220v? Cuts your amperage needs in half and makes wiring much cheaper

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Yes, 20 amps requires 12 gauge wiring, and likely that tool has a 14 gauge cord. Now there's nothing wrong with putting a 15 amp plug on it and plugging it into a 20 amp circuit.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The size of the cord absolutely does matter. The sizing guides exist for a reason. What if some day that cord is removed, and someone reuses it? Just because it will work doesn't mean it should be done. Buy a 15 amp plug( which will work in a 20 amp outlet, and be done with it.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
rrbrown said:
Are you serious. Your dust collector if its a 2 HP motor may draw lose to 20 amps, the table saw again I doubt it draws 20 amps. Both those things may draw close to 20 amps on start up only. 20 amps worth of fluorescent lighting? How many light are we talking. Really a mini fridge and TV are negligible in amperage draw.

I have 60 amps service. 60 amps is 60 on each of two legs so if your talking 110 volts you actually have 120 amps. I have a 10k and 12k but window units, 20 compact fluorescent bulbs and (20) 4' T-8 fluorescent bulbs, 4 floodlights, a stereo and or Tv, a mini fridge, dust collector, 4 HP ompressor (220v) and any number of power tools from a 3 HP 220 table saw down that can run at one time and the lights don't even dim.

My only problem to date is the drum sander overloading when I tried to take off to much at a time. Not a single other problem.

Now with that said, I don't disagree if your running the power run the 100 amp if you can. I disagree with our assumption of power consumption and view of how little can be ran on a 60 amp service panel.
Agreed, I've run an amp meter on my panel, and the max I've ever been able to cause it to draw not during start up is 32 amps. That was the dust collector with all gates open, the air filter, every light, the router running with no load and the tablesaw bogging down in 2 inch hard maple.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I don't either, but my point is why risk it? What's the harm in buying the right plug? The whole premise of electrical codes is risk adverse planning, 14 gauge wiring in much of the rest of the world will carry 20 amps, but to be on the safe side we rate it to 15. Same things with plugs, will it work, sure, but it's still not right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.