Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The New Guy
1,199 Posts
I believe 100 amps will be sufficient, unless you can feed 200 amps for about the same cost. Might only be another 25 bucks for the bigger breaker panel. I don't know what kind of set up you have or if you already have wiring ran or if you've got to run 150 feet of wire to feed your shop, so it's hard to know what extra cost it will be.

True, 200 amps is very likely more than you'll ever need in a one man shop, but maybe you'll add a small heat pump for climate control later, or a couple of window units, or just a few electric heaters for the winter. Like a cold beer? Maybe you'll find that the shop is the ideal place for a deep freezer too since it's out of the house, but close enough. Climate control, mini-fridge, deep freezer, dust collection, air filtration, and a table saw can eat up some amperage. Probably not 200 amps, but I'd rather have 200 available and only need 65, than have 60 available and need 65. I'd put at least 100 if I were you.

·
The New Guy
1,199 Posts
Can you answer this question for me? Take this tool for example, it can run on 110 or 230V. It will draw 6.5A @ 230V is there any reason I cannot wire the machine for 230V and attach a 20A plug on the end of it to plug into a 240v 20A outlet?
Nope, no reason why you can't do that. If it's the 10 volt difference that worries you, stop worrying. 110, 115, 120, 220, 230, and 240 volt designations are nominal values. What that really means is that you can run the equipment off one hot leg and a ground, or two hot legs that ground each other. (Yes your voltages have to be somewhat close to 115 or 230, but give or take 15 volts and you'll be fine.) I have 124 volts, or 248 volts available in my home. You may have as little as 108 and 215 volts, but it's all the same service, despite the different actual voltages. Get a volt meter and check your voltage. I bet it's not 120 volts. It'll be close, but probably not exactly 120. Ironically, if you actually have 110 volt legs, you won't have 230 volts, you'd have 220 volts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.