Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Ive lurked for a while and now I have a question. My wife wants me to build this. How would you fellas make these tapers? I don't have a bandsaw...

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hmmmmm...........methinks that is probably a hollow torsion box type construction with 1/4" ply for the shelf surfaces and bolt/screw through connections between the shelves and uprights. Maybe built in place? not self standing.

BTW...Welcome to the forum.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
that thing is weird....

weird projects call for weird tools, namely a bandsaw. That's how I would put it to her.
You want that thing bad enough? I need a bandsaw. That's what the guys at WWT said. :eek::yes:

Let us know how that goes. :blink: Then we'll talk about how to make it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Not sure what tools you have available, but you could make that taper with a planer and a sled, or just cut them with a hand saw.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I definately would use a tapered planer sled. If you also dont have a planer then you could use you're router with a tapered sled

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Time to send a message!

I'm with woodnthings on this one. This is the perfect opportunity for
an enterprising woodworker to spin a tale of frustration and self worth. Have the make and model picked out and ready. Tell her how much you have agonized over this particular project and dammit to hell the only reasonable approach to this would be getting a tool worthy of such a project, as you cannot see how it could be built otherwise.
From past experiences, it's also good to have backup projects at the ready that could also be accomplished with this tool.
At the initial onset of cost, tell her about this one model everyone say's is great but, I think I could do just fine with this model ( slightly less in cost, but the one you really want anyway)
No doubt about it, it's a win win for everyone! Just make sure she's in the lead. :thumbsup: and you'll get that tool everytime.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
I'm with woodnthings on this one. This is the perfect opportunity for
an enterprising woodworker to spin a tale of frustration and self worth. Have the make and model picked out and ready. Tell her how much you have agonized over this particular project and dammit to hell the only reasonable approach to this would be getting a tool worthy of such a project, as you cannot see how it could be built otherwise.
From past experiences, it's also good to have backup projects at the ready that could also be accomplished with this tool.
At the initial onset of cost, tell her about this one model everyone say's is great but, I think I could do just fine with this model ( slightly less in cost, but the one you really want anyway)
No doubt about it, it's a win win for everyone! Just make sure she's in the lead. :thumbsup: and you'll get that tool everytime.
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
What tools do you have, and what is the width of those boards? I have both a bandsaw and a jointer that could taper boards up to 6" wide. Wider than that and I would probably use a bench plane. I would pick a wood with straight grain and is not too hard.

·
Banned
47 Posts
I seen that the annual shop and tool issue of fine woodworking shows how to build a L fence for a table saw. Seeing that stock is to wide to rip on a table saw, u can achieve that taper with a built L fence on a band saw. U cut the pattern out of hardboard then attach it to the side of ur stock position ur attached L fence where the L will follow ur template in a resaw method. I can see that working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's around 5 feet tall and 8" deep. I have a table saw, router and most hand tools. No planer or bandsaw. I thought about ripping the material in half then creating the taper on a table saw and regluing.

·
7,222 Posts
It's around 5 feet tall and 8" deep. I have a table saw, router and most hand tools. No planer or bandsaw. I thought about ripping the material in half then creating the taper on a table saw and regluing.
For these dimensions, I think the torsion box suggestion by Roger Newby would work well.

Easy to cut the pieces on the table saw, then glue together. If being painted you will not easily see the joints.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I would use 1/4 ply over a main structure. Where the shelf enters the trunk, have it extend into the trunk as much as you can and dowel or bolt through the shelf board. Then maybe pocket hole on the upper shelf to secure to the wall.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If 8" deep, maybe rip the board in half, then make an L fence for the table saw and cut the tapers by making a cut then flip it end for end and cut the rest of the way. Then glue the tapered halves back together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts