Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my name is Davyd and I am an architecture student in Chicago. One of my classes was a furniture design class and I have just finished my summer project. It was supposed to go for auction as a fundraiser in West Chicago for the park that had lost a large number of trees due to a storm but the person who was supposed to bring it out there wasn't able to get the piece out there in time for the auction. This being my first piece I am now unsure what to do with it.

I would like to try to sell it in order to at least get back the money I had personally invested in the glass and hardware but I have no idea what sort of price I would be able to get for it and where or how I would be able to sell it for a good price. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this and have very little idea what I am doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The project is a bourbon set made from white oak that came from a park in West Chicago after a storm took out a significant number of their trees. It holds two carafes with white oak stoppers as well as six glasses wrapped in white oak with a charred inside finish reminiscent of the bourbon making process and the use of charred white oak barrels. The box holds the six glasses in the lidded compartment which is lined with charred white oak and inset with end grain strips to hold the glasses in place.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
31,259 Posts
It's worth way more than $100

I'll bet the hardware alone cost $100. The workmanship is very well done, and I'd value it at least around $500.00. It's definitely a high end product and would sell to that type of buyer. Your problem is finding a gallery in Chicago who won't ask for 50 % commission. Your friends or instructors in the Architectural field may have some connections or even want to purchase themselves with it's unique background. I also studied Architecture at the University of Illinois decades ago, a great place and very cool city. There are plenty of folks there who appreciate art and fine craftsmanship. :yes:

Don't give it away, it will keep until you get what it's worth to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it cost me a just under $200 for the amount I had to pay for the glassware and hardware and the amount I had to donate to the park. So $100 would not even cover that.

I was thinking in the price range of $500 but no idea where I find that kind of market. I am sure someone would gladly pay that price as it is a very unique piece and well crafted (in my opinion) but again no idea where to start asking. I haven't seen anything along the lines of this on Etsy (my first idea) so I don't know if anyone looking for this would ever go there and never been a huge fan of eBay for hand made things like this. Are there other options with a high demand for hand made things?

·
where's my table saw?
31,259 Posts
years ago there were many Galleries ,....

If I recall along Oak Street or other Near North locations. Some phone calls and an email of the photos might pay off. Back then, I made some plinths for a gallery and also worked with Richard Hunt the famous sculptor who was my instructor at U of I. Try to do some "networking" even walk in in person with the set. No matter what happens as dar as the sale, you will make some interesting connections. :yes:

Our member Da Aadvark is a former Chicagoan who is an architect: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/members/da-aardvark-33685/

http://www.chicagogallerynews.com/galleryguide.asp

·
Registered
33 Posts
You could get at least $500. Bourbon connoisseurs would appreciate the detail of charing the glass holders and the fact that it is made out of oak. It looks great! I agree with woodnthings, keep it until you find someone that is willing to pay a decent price for it!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
well it cost me a just under $200 for the amount I had to pay for the glassware and hardware and the amount I had to donate to the park. So $100 would not even cover that.

I was thinking in the price range of $500 but no idea where I find that kind of market. I am sure someone would gladly pay that price as it is a very unique piece and well crafted (in my opinion) but again no idea where to start asking. I haven't seen anything along the lines of this on Etsy (my first idea) so I don't know if anyone looking for this would ever go there and never been a huge fan of eBay for hand made things like this. Are there other options with a high demand for hand made things?
Check this out http://www.drake.net/products/Campaign-Desk-Bar?id=26161 I had a guy want me to build one of these. After I told him the price he never got back to me. $600.00 is more in the ball park but than again you need to find a buyer which might be few and far between. You might put it on consignment for $850.00 to get your money out of your cost.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Nice, I would suggest that should you build another, that placing the hinge between the top and the base, so that you see only the hinge pin when lid is closed, that would add to the look of your very nice piece. IMO.

You can purchase thin hinges with lots of small screw mounting points. You would need such since the side walls aren't that thick.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your responses. This has been very useful as I haven't really done anything like this before.

As far as the hinge goes yeah I would have much rather put it on the inside but couldn't find any that I could get quick enough. I was under a pretty tight time crunch for getting this project done in the couple of weeks we had classes but if I go back and make another one I will defiantly try to do that and sink them into the wood.

Well I think I will hang on to it now and just take my time looking for a buyer. Maybe I will try to post it in some bourbon forums as well and see if there might be a buyer out there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You could get at least $500. Bourbon connoisseurs would appreciate the detail of charing the glass holders and the fact that it is made out of oak. It looks great! I agree with woodnthings, keep it until you find someone that is willing to pay a decent price for it!
Agreed! That crowd enjoys the finer things, and typically have the money to spend on them. This being a beautiful, hand made one-of-a-kind piece, they'd be proud to show this off to their buddies after a round of golf.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
That's a beautiful piece. Very classy looking!

$500 or $600, to me, is a STEEP price. Please don't take that as a negative comment; it's probably worth that to the right person. Golfers and drinkers: they have expensive tastes! Personally, I'd love for you to get that kind of money out of the piece. I think that quality woodworking (which this piece definitely IS) is undervalued and under-appreciated in today's world. And I have no experience with bourbon-ware shopping or pricing. So my gut instinct on pricing may be way off anyway. In fact, I'm sure it is.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You can go to a hobby store, one that sells model airplane stuff. They use thin hinges for wing elevators, etc.

I just bought some for a model of an Art Deco Semi-truck car hauler I built.

Dale in Indy
Here are two good sources for hinges: http://woodworking.rockler.com/sear...method=and&view=grid&af=type:products&cnt=100

The above source is in Schaumberg, IL just west of downtown Chicago off of the toll road. There is also Woodcraft in Palatine, Il which is also west of Chicago via the toll road and north of Rockler.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/home/Search.aspx?action=a&pb=1&ap=

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.