Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a toy box. I've already made a few over the years and the feedback has been that some sort of hardware to keep the lid from shutting hard on the child would be great. From the research I've done a gas strut would work, but I'm having trouble finding good info on how to get proper measurements for one. Also, having trouble finding one rated for only 11-13 pounds.

Alternatively I found this soft down lid support after tracing down something another user said and I think it would work, but am not 100% sure.
http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinge...rts/toy-box-lid-supports/soft-down-lid-supprt

Does anyone have advice or experience in this area? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
-I built 4 using Rockler's Lid Stay Torsion Hinges. Resistance is built into the hinge. They come in 4 levels of resistance. Number and combination of resistance is determined by lid weight and width. I built large cherry boxes and used 3 hinges on each. The boxes were for 1-5 year olds.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The child may get fingers caught in the hinge mechanism.
They'll only do it once !!!

How did we all make it through our childhoods ???
Lying in the back window of the car on trips ...
Riding bicycles without 20 pounds of protective equipment ...
Toy box with a chain to keep it from hitting the wall when it was opened. (That's good paint on that wall!)
There was no "protective system" to keep it from hitting the kid on the way closed.

I guess whole generations just "got lucky" ... all the time.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
They'll only do it once !!!

How did we all make it through our childhoods ???
Lying in the back window of the car on trips ...
Riding bicycles without 20 pounds of protective equipment ...
Toy box with a chain to keep it from hitting the wall when it was opened. (That's good paint on that wall!)
There was no "protective system" to keep it from hitting the kid on the way closed.

I guess whole generations just "got lucky" ... all the time.
And I would really hate to see one of my grandkids loose some fingers that one time just to teach them a lesson!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.