Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks--

I generally do not strip cabinets, but a nice family wants their oak cabinets darkened up. It suddently turned cold reminding me that I can't use easily the solvent stripper outside anymore but I know it does a great job of taking off just the top coats which would make it easier to pull off a lower workload darkening project. I know that I have used both that kind and the waterbased orange stuff sparingly inside a house. Usually, just in places like under the sink but now I need some advice. Can you remind me what it is like to strip inside? I am thinking the waterbased is safer. But if I recall it tends to strip down to the wood.

·
Registered
27,554 Posts
I think you are referring to citrus strip paint remover. It works pretty bad even under the best conditions. The good thing is you can use it indoors with the heat on. Any solvent based remover needs a lot of ventilation and doesn't work well under 70 degrees and not at all below 50 degrees.

Personally I would tell the folks I couldn't do the job until spring. It's not worth it to take 2 or 3 times the amount of labor just because it's winter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts