Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That is Fine looking! I am going to build on one day. I have a friend, who bought plans, but has not built one yet. He just retired though, so maybe he will get to it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I was enjoying the build when it just stopped. I clicked next and was at someplace with a plane (the flying kind, not the wood shaping kind).

What I saw was very interesting.... I'd like to read the rest of the story....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Real nice. Did you weigh it? I'm curious if the bass wood is lighter than cedar.
The basswood is probably a little heavier, depending on the individual piece of wood. The charts I looked at listed cedar at 26# per cubic foot and basswood at 27#. The fact is that the wood is only about 1/3 of the boat weight. The epoxy and glass weigh a lot. I think the epoxy is about 22# per gallon - I used a little less than a gallon. Reducing the weight of a strip built boat is all about watching your ounces. The pounds will follow. This 15' long and 29" wide solo boat came out at 42#. It's way lighter than an ABS boat would be, and a little heavier than a kevlar boat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was enjoying the build when it just stopped. I clicked next and was at someplace with a plane (the flying kind, not the wood shaping kind).

What I saw was very interesting.... I'd like to read the rest of the story....
I thought the blog was getting a little long, so I decided to write about all the glassing, gunnels etc next month. Glad you enjoyed it.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Scott
Thanks a lot for sharing your link and pictures of your beautiful boat. I really like the lines. I'm guessing this isn't the first canoe you have built. If it is I'm even more impressed. I built a dingy a few years back and agree, West System is the way to go. So many don't realize fiberglass isn't always water proof. Up north all my buddies built their DN iceboats with West.

I'm also impressed with the cost.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
building a strip canoe

Wow. I would love to build that. Was it a kit?
It wasn't a kit, but you can get the equivalent of a kit from Northwest Canoe Company. They have many plans for different canoes and will sell you everything you need, from strips to epoxy, glass, seats, gunnel material, etc. If you have the space, a jig saw and a stapler you can build one of these. It really isn't hard. Go for it! You'll love it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
A great write up and a really nice boat!

I used to love canoeing. It was one of those things on my "favorite things to do" list. Unfortunately due to some physical limitations, it only a fond memory these days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Scott,

Great build and great write-up!

I have stacks of red cedar in my barn right now waiting for my "honey-do" list to get caught-up on and I'm planning on building a stripper too. Before I retired last year, I spied some cedar 4 X 6 cross arms on a sub-station that was being dismantled at the plant I worked at. i got them for free and had them ripped to 1 1/8" X 6". I need to cut them to 1/4" strips and put the bead and cove on them. I'm thinking of a Prospector style canoe.

Hard to beat the beauty of a strip canoe!

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts