Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to do this type. I have only seen the tools online Nelson website. Do I need those tools or is there another way of doing it? Or does someone else sell those those tool?

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
I have found some antiques on ebay. and a few other antique tool websites. but they are few and far between. I resorted to making my own. I can not afford the Lie Nielsons or the antiques. So I used the pictures of them to make my own. so far. they seam to work.

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
I am still working on the thickness Gauge. I have the circle cutter finished. It works very well and cuts a 1/16" wide groove. I also have a clean out chisel that is about 1/32" wide that i made from an old nail punch.i will get some pics in the next day or two

·
Registered
1,718 Posts

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
ForumRunner_20130728_080047.jpg

Here is my straight line cutter a simple marking gauge with a wider tooth for the blade. It measures right at 1/16" wide

ForumRunner_20130728_080243.jpg

ForumRunner_20130728_080253.jpg
This is my circle cutter. Loosely built of off the lie nielsen design. If you notice my blade is a single tooth. I scribe one side of the inlay. Then flip my blade so the bevel is facing the inside of the inlay and make another scribe. The distance is spot on 1/16" wide between the scribes.

ForumRunner_20130728_080628.jpg

ForumRunner_20130728_080640.jpg

This is my clean out tool. It was made from an old nail set. I ground it flat with a double bevel. That is. Between 1/32 and 3/64 wide. I wanted it narrower then 1/16" so it will fit between the scribes in my circle cutter and my straight line cutter.

I still need to make a thicknessing gauge and a slicing gauge.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
I searched my phone but no pictures of the iron on my inlay gauge :(

Steve Latta's design (the one LN sells) is, I think, one of the best out there. It is basically three small CC saw teeth. They are ground to approach from either direction and it works a bit more quickly across grain. For that reason when I made mine I also made a small back hooked chisel the same exact width to clean out the grooves.

I'll get some pictures of it all up for ya this week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts