Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into something this week I never saw before. GE Silicone Caulk can go bad. I've had it dry up in the tube all my life but never go bad. I had a tube which the caulk had hardened in the tip where I couldn't use it in the caulking gun so I took a utility knife and cut the tube open and what was inside seemed to be fine. I used it and after two days it's not even dry to touch. I'm going to have to clean it off and start over.

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,094 Posts
Interior or exterior application? What was the temperatures over those two days. How old was the tube? I have seen a watery discharge from an old tube. The product wasn’t watery, but had a sort of slimy coating as it discharged from the tube. Don’t recall a curing issue though. GE Silicon Caulk has become difficult to find around here and I've been using DAP water based silicon caulk instead. It takes forever to cure, but as long as it's undisturbed, I cures fine.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Steve, I had an old tube that I needed just a short bead of caulk from but the consistency was watery, like it separated inside the tube. Bought a replacement tube of GE 100% Silicone and it has a use by date stamped on it. Never saw that before on their caulk. I bought it in Dec 2019 at the big orange store and it expires in February 2021. Not a long shelf life.

·
Registered
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interior or exterior application? What was the temperatures over those two days. GE Silicon Caulk has become difficult to find around here and I've been using DAP water based silicon caulk instead. It takes forever to cure, but as long as it's undisturbed, I cures fine.
It was rated for exterior use however I was using it to make a rubber mold. The temperature was running in the mid 80's so that didn't contribute to the problem. The first day I kept it in my office where there was a dehumidifier so when it had problems I put it out in my shop where the humidity was running high which should have helped but it's not any more dry than when I applied it. When it was fresh I didn't have any problem with it hardening.

·
Registered
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve, I had an old tube that I needed just a short bead of caulk from but the consistency was watery, like it separated inside the tube. Bought a replacement tube of GE 100% Silicone and it has a use by date stamped on it. Never saw that before on their caulk. I bought it in Dec 2019 at the big orange store and it expires in February 2021. Not a long shelf life.
Had the tube I used been watery I wouldn't have tried to use it. It had every appearance of being good. I just never seen any that was bad like t hat. It either was usable or too thickened to use.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I was recaulking a bathtub/shower and was researching what the dates or date codes on the tubes meant. One thing I kept seeing was that Silicone caulk has a self life of about a year. Expired silicone caulk may not cure according to the info I found. Dates were self explanatory. I had to look up how to interpret date codes.

·
Registered
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was recaulking a bathtub/shower and was researching what the dates or date codes on the tubes meant. One thing I kept seeing was that Silicone caulk has a self life of about a year. Expired silicone caulk may not cure according to the info I found. Dates were self explanatory. I had to look up how to interpret date codes.
Never heard that before. I dug out the tube and it was dated use by Nov 2020. Perhaps they mean an unopened tube and this one 75% of the tube had been used.

·
Registered
26,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is 100 percent speculation. as ive never even used that product, im guessing its made *cheaper/healthier/worse* than it use to be. isnt that the case with most things?
Could be. All I know is when the tube was first opened it worked like it was suppose to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts