Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished turning a walnut hollow form for my cousins wedding and I brought the piece inside to put a finish on it. As I was taking a few pictures I put my head a little closer to the wood to inspect it for scratches and I heard this sound. I looked to my left and then my right unable to identify it and then looked at the hollow form in my hand. I thought hmmm couldn't be from that but stuck my ear into the hole at the top and it was... The sound is exactly like the fizzing of soda... That kind of popping rice crispy treats sound. Thinking that I had surely gone round the bend I ran out of my house and made my neighbor stick her ear inside the hollow form and to my relief she heard the sound too! The only thing I can think of is that it must be water coming out of the pores amplified by the shape of the hollow form but I would not think that the water escaping would make that kind of sound... Possibly the wood shrinking??? I have no idea whats going on here. It was turned green down to about 1/8-1/4 of an inch... It was kind of a thrill to witness something I had never seen/ heard before. Its still happening too... Would love to hear what you all think it could be:yes: Happy turnin,
Bond

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Interesting.
Might could be wood fibers getting used to the new architecture--different stresses and strains on the microstructure of the wood. I suspect it happens more than we know.
Just a thought.
Dave H

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting.
Might could be wood fibers getting used to the new architecture--different stresses and strains on the microstructure of the wood. I suspect it happens more than we know.
Just a thought.
Dave H

I think that is most likely... so crazy how the form amplifies that stuff... Next person to do a hf with a hole big enough to get their ear into needs to give it a shot and see if it happens to them too...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Bond, I don't think you are dealing with bugs. I know exactly what sound you are talking about and have heard it on numerous pieces, all walnut. Try this: put it on the counter and I'll bet the sound either stops or quiets down a bit. Then pick it up and it will start again. This freaked me out for awhile until I figured out it was the heat from my hands speeding up the drying process. I think your first hunch is right. Water escaping through pores. It's like its alive, huh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.