Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Straightening a bowed false front on a floating shelf

Hi. As an entertainment center replacement, I built a heavy duty floating shelf/cabinet with a false front to hide the components. I'm having problems with the false front bowing, this is my second attempt and it started out completely straight but now has curved on me again. Is there any way to straighten this out? Maybe some vertical kerfs in the middle? I'd appreciate your thoughts. I'd upload more pics, but ipad not letting me right now. Can add more later if necessary. Thanks!

Kris

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, I intend to finish the false front in the same color black, when I can get it to fit properly.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The only options I see are to use high quality pre-primed plywood, MDF, Melamine, or buying a piece of angle-iron from home depot and screwing it on.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
First, I'd make it two separate pieces, to limit how much bowing the board has. Second, especially if painting, I'd rip it down and laminate it from 2 inch wide strips of wood with grain direction alternating, if possible.

The other option would be to use some engineered wood options as suggested above. I would use 1/2 inch ply and then put a 1 inch band all the way around similar to this desk: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/members/frankp-2380/albums/around-house/8800-closet-desk/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts