Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a straight edge bar for ensuring my jointer tables remain co-planar and all the other uses we use one for. I only need it to be 36" or so - anyone know of any good deals to point me to?

·
John
3,028 Posts
I want to get a straight edge bar for ensuring my jointer tables remain co-planar and all the other uses we use one for. I only need it to be 36" or so - anyone know of any good deals to point me to?
Whether or not something is a good deal or not is usually a matter of perception. This is what I would use if any degree of accuracy is desired
Woodpeckers SERX Straight Edge Rule 36inch - Amazon.com:smile:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Here's the thing...you can't ever have something perfectly straight....if you get a rule that's precise to .00001.....that still means it may be off by .0000099.

The thing you need to do is decide what your tolerance is...we're all working with wood which isn't stable like metals, so I try to work somewhere in the 1/128th range. I've found that something like this is plenty accurate for me.

·
where's my table saw?
28,759 Posts
36" is not long enough ...JMO

I use a 48" alumium level with machined surfaces. It doesn't fall over because it's wide enough to stand on it's own. You can go to the Home Depot and compare them by holding 2 together and look for any light in between them. When you find a pair that show no light, flip one end for end and if there is still no light, it's probably fairly straight.
It's straight enough to check you jointer tables...probably about $30.00

Here's a link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Empire-48-in-Magnetic-I-Beam-Level-EM51-48/202035299#.UjJotn-ZbFA

accurate to 0.0005 ..... and you will find uses for it all around the home and shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts