Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandson recently started the process of installing a Larson Storm Door on the front of our home. He got a bit into the process before having to leave and now I am stuck with a 1/4" to 1/2" gap between the lock body and strike plate. I searched for videos online to watch to see if I could find any tips but couldn't find any. Not sure if I used the proper search criteria. Most videos covered moving the lock slot or strike plate up or down. In my case, I need to extend out the strike plate. I'm hoping the two pictures I have attached explain this better. (The top picture taken outside and the bottom picture was inside the house). Thanks a ton for any suggestions.

V/r

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
Termite
8,785 Posts
The door om working on is a rear , but these are pictures of my front. Are you able to take the lock side metal piece off?
Wood Tints and shades Paint Beige Rectangle
Handle Door Wood Fixture Household hardware

·
Registered
293 Posts
Your son must of misread the instructions and put the latch side all the way up the the door jamb or brick mold. The hinge side goes up against the door jamb, but the latch side comes out to meet the door. Go down to step #7 of the video.

·
Registered
13,703 Posts
My grandson recently started the process of installing a Larson Storm Door on the front of our home. He got a bit into the process before having to leave and now I am stuck with a 1/4" to 1/2" gap between the lock body and strike plate. I searched for videos online to watch to see if I could find any tips but couldn't find any. Not sure if I used the proper search criteria. Most videos covered moving the lock slot or strike plate up or down. In my case, I need to extend out the strike plate. I'm hoping the two pictures I have attached explain this better. (The top picture taken outside and the bottom picture was inside the house). Thanks a ton for any suggestions.

V/r

Joe
I would not want a gap like that down the entire front edge of my door. I would go to the rear of the door and add a solid strip the correct thickness down the entire length of the jam. This will push the entire door over to the correct position.

This reads like you just got the wrong size door.

George

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your son must of misread the instructions and put the latch side all the way up the the door jamb or brick mold. The hinge side goes up against the door jamb, but the latch side comes out to meet the door. Go down to step #7 of the video.
I think he skipped ahead on a couple steps. I'm going to backwards engineer this thing. Paying special attention to Step 7 and 8 of that video. Thank you for sending it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would not want a gap like that down the entire front edge of my door. I would go to the rear of the door and add a solid strip the correct thickness down the entire length of the jam. This will push the entire door over to the correct position.

This reads like you just got the wrong size door.

George
My door jam (I think that's what it's called) is 36" wide. A Larson Storm Door. That's the size door I bought at Lowes. But I may end up going the way you suggest.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My door jam (I think that's what it's called) is 36" wide. A Larson Storm Door. That's the size door I bought at Lowes. But I may end up going the way you suggest.
You have the correct size door. Storm doors are actually installed in the brick mold trim that is, that trims out the door jam. There is no standard dimensions for the brick molding, so the storm door manufacture builds in a fudge factor into the door. It would be ideal if you could shim out the door opening to fit the storm door exactly, but the manufacturer want a good solid mounting on the hinge side. It’s more important the hinges be mounted solid.

·
Registered
13,703 Posts
You have the correct size door. Storm doors are actually installed in the brick mold trim that is, that trims out the door jam. There is no standard dimensions for the brick molding, so the storm door manufacture builds in a fudge factor into the door. It would be ideal if you could shim out the door opening to fit the storm door exactly, but the manufacturer want a good solid mounting on the hinge side. It’s more important the hinges be mounted solid.
Adding a solid strip has no bad effect on mounting.

gmc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you. I apologize for taking so long replying. I would think you would need that wood strip to run the entire length of the door. That's what I was about to do,exactly like you have in that picture but running the entirety of the door way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts