Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm about to go pick up 10 whole walnut logs to turn. Should I...... Leave them whole and bag them so they don't crack..... Split them in half and bag them..... Leave them out while whole....... Split an leave out..... Or any other ideas you guys have would be great!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have left them whole (unsplit) but if stored a long time they can lose the richness of the heartwood. I now cut about 4" longer than the diameter and then cut through the pith. I then anchorseal each end and about an inch down on the cut surface. This seems to have stopped the washed out look of the heartwood. If they are being cut green now I would watch them and recoat if any cracking starts to appear in the first several weeks. They will be chock full of water now.
Other may have different experiences.

·
7,222 Posts
Hey guys I'm about to go pick up 10 whole walnut logs to turn. Should I...... Leave them whole and bag them so they don't crack..... Split them in half and bag them..... Leave them out while whole....... Split an leave out..... Or any other ideas you guys have would be great!
If you mean plastic bag, I mentioned in a similar thread some weeks ago that you should not put green wood in plastic. It will rapidly develop mold. The plastic seals in moisture, which along with the ever present mold spores and air means rapid growth of the spores.

Seal the ends with paint, paraffin wax or anchorseal. Then put in a place without direct sun, ideally sheltered from the elements..

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave Paine said:
If you mean plastic bag, I mentioned in a similar thread some weeks ago that you should not put green wood in plastic. It will rapidly develop mold. The plastic seals in moisture, which along with the ever present mold spores and air means rapid growth of the spores.

Seal the ends with paint, paraffin wax or anchorseal. Then put in a place without direct sun, ideally sheltered from the elements..
Ok so they are pretty dry. Some have cracks some dont. It has also started to spalt!!!!! Think I'm gunna leave them whole for now. Then when I get time split it cut the blanks and bag them. An slowely dry them.

·
7,222 Posts
Ok so they are pretty dry. Some have cracks some dont. It has also started to spalt!!!!! Think I'm gunna leave them whole for now. Then when I get time split it cut the blanks and bag them. An slowely dry them.
They are likely not as dry as you may think.

Cracking can happen very quickly. If you are lucky it will be only the first few inches.

Spalting looks great, but the bacteria which produce the spalting effect are also consuming the wood, so keep an eye on the density of the wood. If the spalting is left too long, the wood can be too soft and punky to turn. Testing with a pocket knife will give a good enough feel for whether the wood is good or has gone too soft.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave Paine said:

Cracking can happen very quickly. If you are lucky it will be only the first few inches.

Spalting looks great, but the bacteria which produce the spalting effect are also consuming the wood, so keep an eye on the density of the wood. If the spalting is left too long, the wood can be too soft and punky to turn. Testing with a pocket knife will give a good enough feel for whether the wood is good or has gone too soft.
Hold on Dave ill take some pictures of the ones I'm most worried about. I hope it's only the first couple inches... But it's not that rich black like green walnut is. He said the tree has been down for a while. And they cut it up last week.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave Paine said:

First one is the wood in the truck. Second thru next to last is all ones I'm worried about. Last shows splalting. I have 2 peices of crotch.

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tell me if I need to do something quick. I have to give 3 bowls to the people who have it to me. Perfect conditions I think I could get 25 bowls out of it. ( there's a lot of wood there) and I don't want to loose it. I'm taking it to school tomoro and it will sit outside until I'm ready to turn it so if I need to do something please tell me

·
Registered
407 Posts
seal all the pieces up with anchorseal, whatever length. If you get some time you might want to bandsaw all the blanks into bowl blanks. Then they can start drying and you can turn them whenever.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nate Bos said:
seal all the pieces up with anchorseal, whatever length. If you get some time you might want to bandsaw all the blanks into bowl blanks. Then they can start drying and you can turn them whenever.
Ok ill try that thank you!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nate Bos said:
but make sure that the blanks have no pith and that you seal them as well, enjoy!
" it ain't worth pith" as my carpentry teacher allways said! Any idea where I can buy those sealers?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Small point of clarification.
Spalting is caused by fungi, not bacteria.
Biology lesson done!

Oh, and white (Elmers) glue works well too.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I love anchorseal! I had to buy it from your country and have it shipped over, so your lucky. If you can get anchorseal 1 instead of anchorseal 2 then do, cause aparantly it is better. (although I have never tried it that is just what they say)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts