Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to store tung oil? When I use tung oil I pour it from the metal can that it comes in into a glass jar so then i can brush it or rub it on. However, over time I notice that the tung oil will dry up in the jar. I have tried two different jars with the same results. How can I best store it so I don't waste it.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Typically the bags from the grocery store improve the seal. Just cover the mouth of a Mason or Ball jar with a piece of the plastic bag. Push a depression in the center of the mouth of the jar about 1/2". Tighten and store. Replace the piece of plastic bag every time you open the jar.

AND

Be sure that the rim of the jar is clean! No jar contents on the rim.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Btw

There has been something going around for well over 50 years.

THIS IS SOMETHING NOT TO DO.

It has been suggested to use a nail to punch holes in the rim of a paint can so that the paint can drain back into the can. Don't! When you seal up the can and put it on the shelf, the holes in the rim allow air into the can. These cans seal with contact between the inside of the bump on the lid against the outside of the inner lip of the can.

·
Registered
27,758 Posts
The amount of air in the container is more important than the type of container. If you could put something like marbles in the container so there was as little air in the container as possible would help more than anything. These products last for years on the store shelf because there almost no air in the can.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
One other thing that helps: store in the frig once opened. What ruins it it is the chemical reaction of the air (O2) with the varnish component. That, along with some evaporation of the thinners. Colder temp slow down that reaction. But once opened, don't expect it to last forever.....just the nature of the beast. BTW, the other thing that's worked best for me was to reduce the air in the container (the marble trick Steve mentioned). There are others, like replacing the gas with Bloxygen and so on....but the marble (or clean gravel) trick seems to work best for me.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The best way to solve the problem is to make your own home-brew each time you need it. Mix equal parts of Boiled Linseed Oil, your favorite varnish or poly varnish and mineral spirits. You will have an almost identical product to the Watco.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts