Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys can anyone tell me the first step in building a storage shed?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

Hey guys can anyone tell me the first step in building a storage shed?
I would suggest contacting your local building and zoning department and get details of what's allowed, requirements, size limitations, placement locations, permit information if needed.

Draw up a rough plan for what you may need. Here is a general plan for shed construction that may help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Step One: Complete

Deciding to build a storage shed. Well it looks like your first step is done.:laughing: Actually a well thought out drawing that shows exactly where everything goes. I built a shed years ago & thought I could just wing it & build it as I went. Big mistake! Just remember most people don’t plan to fail, they just fail to plan. Good luck with you project. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
Make your rough drawing and decide upon the size you will need.

AND THEN DOUBLE THE DIMENSIONS.

You will never make it big enough.

George

·
woodbutcherer
610 Posts
I would suggest contacting your local building and zoning department and get details of what's allowed, requirements, size limitations, placement locations, permit information if needed.

Draw up a rough plan for what you may need. Here is a general plan for shed construction that may help.

Ditto. It sometimes helps to have a rough sketch of the portion of the lot it is going on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might want to take a look at the New Yankee Workshop web site. They offer plans & DVD's for a couple of different sheds. I imagine the DVD will give you a good idea of what is involved in building a shed.
Dennis

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
First steps about contacting your local zoning commission are correct. Smaller sheds do not need permits and in some cases are not considered in your property taxes. Larger sheds are considered out buildings and do require permits and may add to your taxes.

Next thing to consider are the requirements for set back from the property lines. Build it too close to your neighbors yard and they can make you take it down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts