Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay. I come to you all with head hung low. I got my bottle stopper stuck on the mandrel somehow.

This is only my second turning. I'm really happy with the result, but try as I might, I can't twist it off the mandrel.

Does anyone have any ideas? Snark is expected, but useful ideas are appreciated.

BTW, my current plan is to try to get inspiration from this PBR I just opened. Lathe is done spinning for the night.

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
im sure you glued it to the mandrel with the ca glue right?
if you cant wiggle it side to side to break it loose just turn the lathe on and cut it loose right at the mandrel then refinish it off the mandrel
and find a good way to finish other than the mandrel
Did i say mandrel to much :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hahaha, I did something similar with a pen when I first started. I used a propane torch, like was just said, and was able to get the pen blank off of the mandrel. Hopefully you can salvage it. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wiggled it. I pulled it. Eventually I put on grippy work gloves. When I twisted it off, a small chip of wood came with it. I guess some CA got on there.

I have learned my lesson to be careful with CA. Also, I love the wax tip. Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Try a strap wrench next time. One of those rubber, adjustable types. Usually works without marring the finish, but I also don't finish with CA.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This happens to me a lot,but do not worry,take two large rubber bands,put one on each ends,take two pairs of water pump pliers,on each end,twist a little bit,and they will come off;Mack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts