Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the the title states, I am still learning a about the ins and outs of turning. This includes the tools used for doing so.
With that being said, I present to the field, a set of Marples and Sons chisels I purchased off of ebay. Used obviously, however I did not notice something in the advertising that I did once received. It is in the collar if you will of the chisels. See attached.
My question is should I be concerned by this, is it repairable, or should I just get my refund and continue my search?

Burin Product Japanese chisel Chisel Tool

Product

Product Tool Chisel Metal Burin

As usual, any advice is useful and welcomed.
Thanks on advanced - Johnny

·
7,222 Posts
The collar as you refer is called a ferrule.

I would not want to use a tool with a broken ferrule. This is an important detail to assist in preventing the tool handle from splitting.

This is the first time I have seen split ferrules. Perhaps someone else can advise how this can happen.

A lot of force may be generated using a tool, especially if you get a catch.

The good news is that the ferrule should be easily replaced. Perhaps easier than returning the tools.

You can either purchase ferrules from woodturning supply companies like Packard Toolworks, or you can purchase copper couplings from a local hardware store or big box store.

Check the diameter of the wood within the ferrule to determine what size you need to purchase.

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The collar as you refer is called a ferrule.

I would not want to use a tool with a broken ferrule. This is an important detail to assist in preventing the tool handle from splitting.

This is the first time I have seen split ferrules. Perhaps someone else can advise how this can happen.

A lot of force may be generated using a tool, especially if you get a catch.

The good news is that the ferrule should be easily replaced. Perhaps easier than returning the tools.

You can either purchase ferrules from woodturning supply companies like Packard Toolworks, or you can purchase copper couplings from a local hardware store or big box store.

Check the diameter of the wood within the ferrule to determine what size you need to purchase.
Thanks Dave for the quick response. I just got them in today so I was all excited about getting on step closer to turning. The split concerned me immediately upon closer inspection.
These were $24+ shipping. Are the tools themselves worth keeping at that price with the additional repairs needed? I'm now concerned about the potential on the wood being cracked as well if the ferrule has been damaged.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Thier worth fixing and using IMO. Id use some epoxy when you replace the ferrule to fill any gaps or cracks that might be in the wood. Id definately be nervous using them in thier current condition. Id also complain to the seller if they didnt picture or at least mention the damage. Not that it would do any good for anything other than to let them know your not happy abou tthem trying to get one over on you.:thumbsup:

Reactions: abetrman

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thier worth fixing and using IMO. Id use some epoxy when you replace the ferrule to fill any gaps or cracks that might be in the wood. Id definately be nervous using them in thier current condition. Id also complain to the seller if they didnt picture or at least mention the damage. Not that it would do any good for anything other than to let them know your not happy abou tthem trying to get one over on you.:thumbsup:
BassBlaster - I went back and looked at the original listing and one of the photos does show it slightly. I just wasn't looking for it. As I said before, I am still learning so now I know one thing to look for when shopping for chisels.

The seller allows for money back returns plus I pay for shipping. Maybe I will just see what it takes to repair. Not that familiar with what a "quality" tool should look like, but other than the issue discussed, they seemed decent.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Simply pull those ferrule's off and lash it with a good nylon string. Then soak the string in some kind of glue. I use thin epoxy or thin CA glue. I've done that on some tools that I hand made and the string ferrule lasts about 7 to 10 years before it starts to unravel. Then you just add more. Ideally you can remove the steel, put the handle back on the lathe and turn it down so you can install a new ferrule but what I've outlined above works just fine.

·
Super Moderator
5,255 Posts
I would say your first project would be to turn a new handle for it. Very simple to do, very fun making something you can use, and, and....wait for it..........I have a free tutorial for making tool handles. Picture by picture, step by step, with explanations at each picture. If you would like it, or anyone else, just send me an email at:
[email protected] and I'll reply back with it attached as a pdf. file.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say your first project would be to turn a new handle for it. Very simple to do, very fun making something you can use, and, and....wait for it..........I have a free tutorial for making tool handles. Picture by picture, step by step, with explanations at each picture. If you would like it, or anyone else, just send me an email at:
[email protected] and I'll reply back with it attached as a pdf. file.
Mike Hawkins;)
Email sent. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.