Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to remove my upper cabinet doors but I don't like the stiles in between. How badly will it affect the integrity of the boxes if I remove them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the look I'm going for. The open look and they are builder grade cabinets. Not high enough end by any means. The boxes themselves are probably mdf.

·
where's my table saw?
29,629 Posts
face frames without stiles

Your doors are NOT structural and do not add bracing to the cabinet boxes, but the stiles do, so removing them is a "gamble". If the cabinets have a center shelf in a dado, it will probably be strong enough if the center stile is removed. If the cabinet back is securely mounted to the wall and the adjacent cabinets are secured to each other through the sides it will probably be OK. It's still a chance you would have to take. They won't fall off the wall, but the center shelf may sag a bit. These cabinets I made have no stiles across, but the shelves are in dados:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No dado'd shelving. Mdf shelving in peg holes. The boxes are attached to the wall though. While I REALLLLLLLLY want the open shelving look. I suppose it may not be the smartest thing. Especially for resale value. It's a very small kitchen with very few cabinets to begin with.

·
Registered
27,653 Posts
Most of the time the integrity of the cabinet depends on the span between the sides. If you remove the stile and you have more than 30" you may experience sagging of the components especially the adjustable shelves if you have them. If you have a long span you may need to re-enforce structure of the cabinet. Can you post a picture of what you are proposing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts