Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Hand Tools section we seem to have several recurring questions that get asked over and over.

It's easy to tell those with questions to search the forum, their questions have been asked and answered many times before, but we've all tried to use the search function and know it is far from perfect.

I was just reading a post in the Power Tools section and noticed for the hundredth time (or more) the sticky posts authored by Knotscott - great information that is easily referenced and easy to point others to it.

I think we would do everyone a favor if we created something similar for the Hand Tools section.

I'm not talking about someone writing a long definitive narration on different topics, but rather a compilation of links to discussions that have already occurred.

Just thinking off the top of my head we could have 3-4-5 sticky threads that would cover a lot of the most commonly asked questions.

Examples could be:
Hand Planes - Selection and Restoration,
Hand Saws - Selection, Restoration and Sharpening
Sharpening - Irons, Chisels and Scrapers

Each thread would include only links to existing threads and would not include any new discussions. Along with the link would be a 2-3 sentence summary of the discussion so people could easily determine which links to follow. Should probably also include a listing of external links that are good references.

There are a lot of questions as to how this would work, or if it is even feasible.

For instance, do we leave these Sticky threads open, or should they be closed so they don't get cluttered with extraneous info? Who will decide what gets included and what doesn't? Should the length of each thread be limited?

I don't have answers to any of this, nor am I positive that this idea would even work, but I thought I'd put it out here and see what others thought.

So... what do you all think???

Lots of details to think about.....

·
7,222 Posts
The logic is sound, go for it.

Even if such sticky threads are created, I am constantly amazed at the number of posters, many are new, who do not seem to "find" the sticky threads, even though they appear at the top of a given forum.

Knotscott wrote 3 very detailed threads on Table Saws, which were made sticky. I do not see any reduction in the repetitive questions about which table saw to purchase.

Heck we even get posts such as "I know this has been asked umpteen times before but I will ask again............". One of my pet peeves.:thumbdown:

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
The logic is sound, go for it.

Even if such sticky threads are created, I am constantly amazed at the number of posters, many are new, who do not seem to "find" the sticky threads, even though they appear at the top of a given forum.

Knotscott wrote 3 very detailed threads on Table Saws, which were made sticky. I do not see any reduction in the repetitive questions about which table saw to purchase.

Heck we even get posts such as "I know this has been asked umpteen times before but I will ask again............". One of my pet peeves.:thumbdown:
I am with you there and good luck with sticky threads, in this age of entitlement people want instant answers and have no shame about demanding personalized attention.

There was a time when one would spend several evenings reading a book or magazine, today they can't be bothered browsing through an internet search when they want information.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The reason I think people don't find them is that they don't show up on mobile devices for some reason. I know I have been guilty of posting a duplicate thread from my iPhone and not noticing it until I checked the replies on my home PC.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it may not reduce the amount of "I know this has been asked before...." questions. But at least we can just reply "Read the Sticky first" instead of typing another long reply or doing a search ourselves to post them a relevant link.

Can't really do much if they don't show up on mobile devices.....

I guess since I made the proposal, it's going to fall on me to put a framework/sample post together.:smile: I'll start putting something together over the next few days and ask for additions/comments/suggestions from everyone before calling it "done" and asking for a sticky.

Stay tuned to this thread, I'll post the proposed stickys here rather than in a new thread.

Thanks in anticipation for all your help.:smile:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not near as quickly as I'd like. Too many other things keep getting in the way.

Hopefully this coming weekend I'll be able to get it together and post something for all to shoot at.

It's going to be cold and snowing, football is over with and I really don't care much about the Winter Olympics so I don't have any other excuses ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts