Woodworking Talk banner

Sticky results with oil/varnish blend

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  camerawork 
#1 ·
Hello,

Yesterday I applied the first coat to book shelves I have built with American walnut. My finish was a blend of BLO, mineral spirits and sherwin Williams fast dry oil varnish glossy. It was about 50% BLO 25% varnish and 25% mineral spirits. The varnish was bought and opened for the first time minutes before applying.

The problem is almost 24 hours later the finish is very sticky / gummy in many spots and also streaky when in the light.

Any thoughts on why this is or what I did wrong?

Thank you

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I'm starting to agree with playing chemist but it seems like making your own blend is pretty popular and simple. The varnish is actually an alkyd varnish, this is why I used it since p&l 38 and cabots varnish are so hard to find.

Now I don't know if I'm experiencing normal results and it just needs to dry more, it sure doesn't seem right.

Luckily I've only applied finish to the underside so far... Not sure how to proceed...

Discussion starter · #7 ·
On the first piece I applied a generous amount the wiped away the excess about 10 minutes later. On the later pieces I applied a much thinner coat to it as it seemed better. The later pieces are less sticky today but there is still a definite tackiness.

Why do you think the blo may be the problem, just too much of it or something else?

Thanks

Discussion starter · #12 ·
So with the broad range of opinions offered, did you choose a course of action? Results? BTW, I've used SW Fast Dry with that mix and had no problems, my experience is different than dustmagnet's. It's quick to dry to the touch, but seem to take longer to fully cure...I really like it, my favorite behind the P&L and Cabot alkyd varnishes (think the Cabot may have been discontinued, seems non-poly varnishes are becoming extinct).

Edit in: should have mentioned this earlier. If you choose to wait for it to dry, you can speed the process up by letting a fan blow across it.. The BLO and varnish combine with oxygen to cure, and the solvent just evaporates...all these happen faster with moving air.
I've been letting the pieces dry and am happy to report they are for the most part dry / not sticky anymore. I will finish the other side with a mix closer to 1/3, maybe a little less on the oil side, and will report back.

I think with some sanding in between coats it should turn out pretty good.

thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.