Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Smart and Cool
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My youngest Son and DIL bought some land, like many they are developing a food plot, and selling produce locally.

I bought a tractor and have had an absolute ball working the land with them, I had no idea my life was so incomplete without a tractor and land. :)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tractor

Those who have a tractor understand that like most things, the tractor spurs a buying spree of attachments.

I bought a crapped out, slapped together single bottom plow for almost nothing(I later discovered why). First time I used it I hit a root and ripped the top portion of the 3 point mount off, it looked like the welds didn't have adequate penetration even though they looked pretty decent. I didn't think my Lincoln 135 mig was up to the task of re-attaching the mount so I drug out Dad's old Lincoln cracker box. I can remember this machine being around back to the late 60's or early 70's, I'm pretty certain it hasn't been used since the early 2000's. I was concerned that sitting had taken a toll on it so I cleaned it up a bit and checked the leads and power cord, everything looked fine so I shut the 240V circuit off at the breaker, plugged the welder in and turned it on, then flipped the breaker, it came to life with that familiar hum.

I set up a couple of pieces to test on and determined pretty quickly that I suck at striking the rod, and I suck worse at stick welding. I worked on getting the heat set right, and trying to remember to feed the rod, that took a while. I finally set everything up and started running some beads on my repair. The welds looked horrendous, but very solid. Then I finally hit my groove and created a bead that I was actually proud of. I have more work to do, and expect the farm will give me more opportunities to get better at it. I used the plow yesterday, hit another root, and ripped the mount off again. It's apparent I need to re-engineer the implement as the plow is putting too much stress on the top mount, I need to brace it more.

Brown Table Wood Natural material Rectangle

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Myself, I prefer stick welding. I have a wire welder but the wire is always rusted and doesn't feed right. The stick welder is a lot less trouble for me. Some brands of rods are just harder to light than others. I think Forney rods are particularly difficult. I'm currently using Lincoln rods and seem to work alright.

·
Smart and Cool
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Myself, I prefer stick welding. I have a wire welder but the wire is always rusted and doesn't feed right. The stick welder is a lot less trouble for me. Some brands of rods are just harder to light than others. I think Forney rods are particularly difficult. I'm currently using Lincoln rods and seem to work alright.
Man I am a wire feed guy all the way, if I could justify it I would have a Miller 212 sitting in the shop. My little Lincoln hasn't been used in over a year, it will light right up no issues but I may not have the same humidity issues you do.

I think the striking issue is me, I'm using Lincoln 6013 rods, just have to get used to the drag. They seem to start much better after the first strike too.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
now you need to buy a sawmill to put that tractor to use :)
lucky for me i have 5 neighbors with tractors, i don't need to buy one

throw some fluxcore wire in that lincoln 135, it'll weld so much better on tractor stuff
i have a lincoln weldpak 100 that i do most of my welding with, no problem doing 1/4"

·
Smart and Cool
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now you need to buy a sawmill to put that tractor to use :)
lucky for me i have 5 neighbors with tractors, i don't need to buy one

throw some fluxcore wire in that lincoln 135, it'll weld so much better on tractor stuff
i have a lincoln weldpak 100 that i do most of my welding with, no problem doing 1/4"
I started with fluxcore when I originally got the 135, then converted to gas, still have a roll of it around somewhere, I will have to give it a try.

I bought the tractor a little over a month ago, already has 50 hours, it's been well worth the investment so far. My Wife has started calling it my mistress... :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
i have access to many mig welders, i used fluxcore to weld up most of my avatar
when i need mig i run over to a neighbors and guess what??? they're out of gas every time 😂
nice thing about fluxcore is it welds outside without a problem and it welds thru rust pretty well
it's pretty portable without the tank and cart, i've carried it up a ladder and tied it off before

·
Smart and Cool
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have access to many mig welders, i used fluxcore to weld up most of my avatar
when i need mig i run over to a neighbors and guess what??? they're out of gas every time 😂
nice thing about fluxcore is it welds outside without a problem and it welds thru rust pretty well
it's pretty portable without the tank and cart, i've carried it up a ladder and tied it off before
I used it outside when I initially got it to mount these gates, fluxcore worked great outside.

Building Wood Asphalt Road surface Brickwork

·
where's my table saw?
30,373 Posts
I made my own "earth terrifier" shown on the back of this 4710 john deere:
Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

The fleet, small and large:
Wheel Plant Tire Tractor Automotive tire

One year it really snowed here:
Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Plant

·
Smart and Cool
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
If you can get the weld in a horizontal position, might be worth giving some 7014s a try. Those things are stupid easy to use, and give higher tensile strength than a 6xxx rod

Got any wide shots of the joint you're repairing? Might be able to get by with gouging out all of the old welds, then going at it with a root pass and a few cap passes

·
where's my table saw?
30,373 Posts
That's awesome, I'd like to know the details, I've been charged with coming up with something to break the ground up a little on the rest of the property so we can broadcast some clover seed.

I like the blade too, I'm watching for one at the right price.
I looked through a few hundred, maybe a thousand photos because I thought I had some of the build, but no luck ...yet!
Basically, it was a 7 ft length of 14" or 12" I beam, capped ends and double ended scarifier teeth spaced 8" apart held on with two 1/2" X 13, grade 8 bolts.
The cool thing was the triangle mount for the 3 point.
It was attachable from either side, so it didn't matter where your dropped it, you could grab it from either side and it worked equally well in forward or reverse!
I can go out and shoot summ more photos if you need them? LOL.
It's taken apart right at the moment for some new paint and it's raining here right now. No big deal, however.
I found some! Another welding project in the background is the box scraper. This is a "beast" of a scarifier and weighs about 800 or lbs:
Green Motor vehicle Wood Grass Rectangle

Wood Building House Toy Grass

Reactions: shoot summ

·
Smart and Cool
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you can get the weld in a horizontal position, might be worth giving some 7014s a try. Those things are stupid easy to use, and give higher tensile strength than a 6xxx rod

Got any wide shots of the joint you're repairing? Might be able to get by with gouging out all of the old welds, then going at it with a root pass and a few cap passes
I've decided to completely re-engineer the device. They used a cast iron arm and plow, it goes back about 12"-16" before it arcs down so I think it is putting way too much leverage up top. Someone actually did a nice job welding to the cast. It has bolt holes in it already so I am going to make a new, heavier 3 point attachment with horizontal ears to bolt the plow to. The ears will have diagonal bracing to the top of the 3 point, I may just use triangle plates and box the top and bottom in for more strength.

It's pretty surprising that hitting a 1" or so root just pops the welds.

There are a number of different rods I have in Dad's stuff, I found some 7018's last night, will look for some 7014's.

·
Smart and Cool
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked through a few hundred, maybe a thousand photos because I thought I had some of the build, but no luck ...yet!
Basically, it was a 7 ft length of 14" or 12" I beam, capped ends and double ended scarifier teeth spaced 8" apart held on with two 1/2" X 13, grade 8 bolts.
It was attachable from either side, so it didn't matter where your dropped it, you could grab it from either side and it worked equally well in forward or reverse!
I can go out and shoot summ more photos if you need them? LOL.
It's taken apart right at the moment for some new paint and it's raining here right now. No big deal, however.
Now that you describe it I see how it was made, that is one helluva beam!

No need for additional pics, I get the idea, I like the double sided capability, very cool.

·
where's my table saw?
30,373 Posts
That triangle mount can be shifted to either side and bolted down if you need to do the far side of the road. Since we started putting crushed limestone on the road I quit doing the maintainence and let the "big tractors" do it. That guy's box scraper weighs 4000 to 5000 lbs also on a 4WD John Deere, a 310 ? Crushed limestone packs as hard as concrete. Ordinary 21AA road gravel is a waste of money, too much sand and clay.
The blade is a 7 ft Land Pride with double swing pivots and a rear pivot for ditching. It's also reversible of course. You can swing it out 3 ft beyond the wheels if you want and locate it and almost any angle from severe to 90 degrees to the road.
This one: Rear Blades | Land Pride
Aircraft Airplane Aerospace manufacturer Toy airplane Vehicle

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
i figured that was so you could hook up two tractors in push/pull configuration 😂
like they do with earthmovers

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
That triangle mount can be shifted to either side and bolted down if you need to do the far side of the road. Since we started putting crushed limestone on the road I quit doing the maintainence and let the "big tractors" do it. That guy's box scraper weighs 4000 to 5000 lbs also on a 4WD John Deere, a 310 ? Crushed limestone packs as hard as concrete. Ordinary 21AA road gravel is a waste of money, too much sand and clay.
The blade is a 7 ft Land Pride with double swing pivots and a rear pivot for ditching. It's also reversible of course. You can swing it out 3 ft beyond the wheels id you want and locate it and almost any angle from severe to 90 degrees to the road.
This one: Rear Blades | Land Pride
View attachment 431986
I like that triangle mount. I bought a blade attachment like this one and used it for more than 20 years on a little 13hp Kubota tractor. Then I bought a 28hp Case tractor and used it to level my son's yard and hit a stump and bent the mounting bracket beyond usable. I'm going to have to cut it apart and rebuild it. Toy Tool Wood Crane Slope

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Well theres your problem, cast iron is a royal PITA to weld and prone to stress cracking . Bolts and a bracket will be way better
Cast is just fickled. Some of it will weld easily and some of it will just burn up. It just depends on how much impurities there are in the metal. Since you can't tell by looking at it, it's just safer to bolt it or braze it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts