Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm building a fence for some friends of mine and since I shut down my fence business, I sold my nailer. I borrowed one from a friend (DeWalt) but for some reason the nails keep overlapping in the magazine < don't know if that is the technical term...
My old nailer used to do this when I was shooting 2" nails if I tried to load more than one sleeve at a time. This one is doing it if only one sleeve is loaded. Is there anything I can do to fix this?? This is only a 40' fence that I should have been able to finish in 2 hours after the posts were set. Now I will have to go over there after work today and hopefully finish up if I can get the nailer to cooperate!:surrender:

BTW, it is a 21deg pneumatic nail gun.

·
where's my table saw?
29,440 Posts
it's either ...

It's either the gun or the nails. Are you using the correct nails? Is the hammer running true and not bent? When it jams, what to the nails look like? Post a photo?

Are you running enough air pressure or a really long hose?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have pictures, but I will take pictures while building tonight. They are the correct nails, the hose is only 25 ft. and I'm using 125 psi which is recommended on the gun. The nails are overlapped inside the magazine usually closer to the firing end. I will play with the pressure this evening to see if that helps. I didn't think it would be a pressure issue or hammer issue due to the fact that they are jamming in the magazine. I thought maybe the spring in the magazine was either too little or too much pressure.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
DeWalt makes two types of framing nailers.
One shoots 30 degree clipped-head nails that are collated with paper tape.
The other shoots full-head 20 degree nails which is collated in a plastic strip.
Make sure you're shooting the right nail in the right tool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one shoots a range between 20-22 degree plastic collated nails. I think i may have figured it out. Seems the magazine was loose. Didn't have the tools with me to tighten it up, but I will tighten it up today and see if that fixes it. I'll update in case anyone else is having this particular problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts