Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The "Nerdy Woodworker"
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I started in January, but because of the lathe being on it's last leg, and moving the shop, I didn't get to finish it till today.
So I rolled the lathe out into the driveway today to enjoy some sun and 85 deg while wrapping this up.
It is really no different than any other segmented bowl I have done, except I decided to "step" the inside of it, just to be different.

I sanded to 600, then buffed with steel wool, finished with Mineral oil.

Yeah, it's been awhile since I posted anything.....

·
7,222 Posts
Good to see you posting again Jim. :thumbsup:

I like the segmentation, but not sure about the stepping.

How did you breath new life back into the lathe. We all thought "It's dead, Jim" :icon_smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
the wood contrast are beautiful. nice job. the steps may make it hard to use for anything except a decorative piece. job well done. now that it is finished you will time to look for a lathe or repair that one.

good luck

Sent from my iPad using Wood Forum

·
The "Nerdy Woodworker"
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to see you posting again Jim. :thumbsup:

I like the segmentation, but not sure about the stepping.

How did you breath new life back into the lathe. We all thought "It's dead, Jim" :icon_smile:
Well, I really rigged the Stepped pully onto the bent spindle. It clatters, but works, I doubt I will actually turn anything, this specific bowl was turned, but needed shaping and sanding.

It's a dead lathe, and I am trying to get the extra funds to pick up the Nova I want, I was recently picked up by an Ad Agency as a Film editor at a killer pay rate so I dont think it'll be to long before I can replace the lathe.

the wood contrast are beautiful. nice job. the steps may make it hard to use for anything except a decorative piece. job well done. now that it is finished you will time to look for a lathe or repair that one.

good luck

Sent from my iPad using Wood Forum
Yeah, it's more for looks, I was just doing what I do best......off the wall strange stuff.

Looks nice Jim.
Glad to see ya around. Hope all is well.
Doing good, new Shop! 30x38 with an upstairs. Haven't really finished putting it together, need to run dust collection lines, some 220 outlets, I got the walls insulated, tools placed, heck I even have a 50" flat panel in the shop now, Fridge, and a private attached bathroom. Ill put the AC in in a few weeks I think, starting to warm up a little finally.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Jim,
Wondered what had happened to you! Glad to know things are are ok and sounds like that you have the makings of a killer shop. Things have been kind of quiet from the Texas end--had to work a lot and guess that Horatio has been hitting the books pretty hard. Have many blanks to process and get started as time allows-- who knows maybe I'll try a segmented project or two in the future.
Dave H

·
The "Nerdy Woodworker"
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim,
Wondered what had happened to you! Glad to know things are are ok and sounds like that you have the makings of a killer shop. Things have been kind of quiet from the Texas end--had to work a lot and guess that Horatio has been hitting the books pretty hard. Have many blanks to process and get started as time allows-- who knows maybe I'll try a segmented project or two in the future.
Dave H
Yeah things have been quiet on my end to, this is the first time I did anything in about 3 months. It has been nice getting back into Film Editing, nice just to get out, let alone the pay. I have been slowly collecting material for the bedroom set project, but still have unfinished projects that need attention.

I miss turning though. Still haven't done that open segmented project yet. I did reach out to a few local guys on here and offered to host a weekend "shop day" but just haven't set it up yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts