Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am building a riser for the 2nd row of home theater recliners. It will be 66" deep and 112" wide approximately 8 1/4" tall plus what ever padding and carpet add to the height. So, finished height is probably 8 3/4" to 9" high. The material is 2x8 lumber and 3/4 plywood screwed together and setting directly on a carpeted cement floor.

Is it necessary to incorporate a step? If so, what should the maximum height of the platform be to safely/comfortably step up on the platform without a step? I am trying to avoid a step because it would require adding a 6 or 8 inches to the width or the platform making the walkway only 24".

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would not add a step, unless it is a very deep shallow step. Think of how awkward it would feel making 2 very close 4.5" steps.

Code for stairs only applies to stairs. This is not a staircase. For example, you can have an 11" high deck, that does not require a railing around it, and does not require a step(at least where I am from)

Simon

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simon understands the problem perfectly and our codes here are similar. In fact in my home built in 2006, the rise from our garage to the house is 18" and the single step is a 9" rise, 9 1/2" run and yes, it is a bit awkward. The building inspector said it does not qualify as a "stair" so it does not have to meet the "stair case" code.

One thought I have is to cut the platform down 1" or 1 1/2" and raise the chairs an 1" or 1 1/2". That would put pressure on the thighs of folks that don't recline since their feet may not touch the floor... Any thoughts on that solution?

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
I am building a riser for the 2nd row of home theater recliners. It will be 66" deep and 112" wide approximately 8 1/4" tall plus what ever padding and carpet add to the height. So, finished height is probably 8 3/4" to 9" high. The material is 2x8 lumber and 3/4 plywood screwed together and setting directly on a carpeted cement floor.

Is it necessary to incorporate a step? If so, what should the maximum height of the platform be to safely/comfortably step up on the platform without a step? I am trying to avoid a step because it would require adding a 6 or 8 inches to the width or the platform making the walkway only 24".
Do whatever your local code says is necessary for the final rise. Otherwise you are asking for potential lawsuit problems.

G

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
Is this in your home or a commercial installation?
If commercial ADA may come into play depending on where the installation is even though you are building a removable platform ( over carpet) which is not required to have a "stair".

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Unless its a huge issue, I'd make the riser at 7-1/4" + the plywood, padding and carpet.

Its too short for a actual step and too tall the other way without one.

Of course you could always give the back row folks each a periscope.

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
regesullivan said:
It is in my home.
If it's in your home do what is comfortable but I would make it "removeable" in the event it it becomes an issue with resale of your home.
If it was my home I would add a step as the older generation may struggle without it. 71/2" risers are comfortable and steps outdoors can be 6".

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Riser.jpg So... I built the riser without a step. It is comfortable for me an my wife but before I carpet it we will have a some folks over and get their opinions. I could still add the step but I really think it will be more of a hazard than the 9" step on to the riser.

Any opinions about the carpet... Contrasting color (black) or the same as the rest of the room?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts