Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the right place for this:

I'm looking for step-by-step plans for making various basic jigs. I am a total noob so I don't need anything fancy. Something for making clean miter joints, something for making tapered cuts, and something for making rounded ends will do.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Check out this guys site Joe Lyddon, a member here. http://www.woodworkstuff.net/ ....that should keep you busy for awhile. :laughing: He has a whole section of links detailing the kinda stuff you are asking about. I am not a total noob and I still pick up a trick or 2 on Joe's site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

One thing I didn't find on those pages: How does one go about making nicely rounded edges? Just use a long file and eye-ball it? I'm making a jewelry box and I want the top to be rounded on all edges, but they don't all turn out very uniform.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thanks guys.

One thing I didn't find on those pages: How does one go about making nicely rounded edges? Just use a long file and eye-ball it? I'm making a jewelry box and I want the top to be rounded on all edges, but they don't all turn out very uniform.
One goes to the local community center to take a woodwork coarse before one loses a finger.

BTW...use a router to round over edges.

No, really...be safe.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Laff, I have all my digits, I just thought it was something clever for a woodworking novice to have as a title :)

Oh, and I took shop in high school... a decade ago. :-/ Since then I've just sort of tinkered around making simple things for my self. Now I make custom arcade controls, mostly. But I'm trying to make better looking control panels now. Simple box type isn't as impressive as it once was. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Oh yeah, but I was commenting on the fact that you alluded that you didn't know how to put a round over on a project. After all...you did say you were a noob!!!

Sorry my bad.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I went to a millwork shop and for a few bucks they made me a jig out of 3/4" MDF with four differnt radius corners. Works really well because they can cut it with their CNC and it comes out perfect every time.
And I would have to agree with corndog, a cross cut sled comes in handy if you don't have a miter saw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts