Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on the Steel City Table Saw in the link below?

http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/4295405127.html

I currently have a Makita 2703 bench top table saw mounted in a Rousseau table saw stand. This system has served me well, and will not be let go. I will keep this for job site use.

However, I am starting to set up a permanent wood shop and want to get into more furniture building, specifically tables and chairs. I feel the Makita set up needs to be upgraded, but not sure how large of a table saw I want to look at. The shop has 220v available for the saw. I have eyed some new Grizzly's, Craftsman, but I am looking for the most saw for my dollar. I don't think I want a granite top unit, cast iron works for me.

Is the Steel City unit a good buy? Or should I stay away from it. It is about 2 1/2 hours from me, so it kind of hard to just go and look at it without somewhat of a commitment from me.

Thanks for your comment good and bad.

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Pretty sure the first Steel City is the CI model. Both it and the Jet are nice, as is the granite model. Not sure what the HP on the Jet is, though.
Ditto...the 35605 is cast iron, the other SC model is granite. All 3 are good saws, and decent deals....still doesn't hurt to offer a bit less. The fact that there are 3 good cabinet saws at decent prices actually works in your favor. My preferences in order are the Jet, 35605, granite top SC.

AFAIK, the BORK aftermarket riving knife will fit the Steel City models, and might even fit the Jet.

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
I have the Steel city saw like the one in the pic with the cast iron top. It is a very good saw, plenty of power, very nice fence. No complaints. I have the mobile base made for it also so I can move it around.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies

Is the Jet model still being made? I see one supposedly listed On Northern Tool, but Amazon says no stock. I haven't taken the time to look further.

Again thanks for the respoinses.

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Is the Jet model still being made? I see one supposedly listed On Northern Tool, but Amazon says no stock. I haven't taken the time to look further.

Again thanks for the respoinses.

Jon
Northern Michigan
It's had some updates (such as a riving knife), but some version of it is still being made AFAIK....> $2k new now, which I don't believe represents great value in today's market, but a used one for $700-$800 does....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts