Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a 17 inch steel city drill press? I'm thinking of getting their newest model the 20530....6 inches of quill travel and 1.5 hp.....

Thoughts?

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I looked at a SC radial press a couple of years ago. Thier drill presses look solid.

I couldnt find much on this model but heres a couple people with first hand experience over at LJ.

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/179

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i'm looking for a long quill travel....

I've looked at the following companies.....any other thoughts?

Steel City
General
Delta
Powermatic
Jet
Grizzly
Porter Cable
Rikon
Shop Fox
Baleigh

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Why can't I find the price of the Steel City 17" press on the web? I checked Amazon and they say it's unavailable. Steel City's web site truly sucks, and a quick Google search is only bringing up reviews not retailers.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't either, but I found the model it replaced...the 20525 and steel city sent me the manual....looks very similar but a 1.5 hp motor now.

I got a price from a local dealer of 699 which is about half of the delta or powermatic long quil travel prices.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Steel City but I have the Delta and it's great. I really like the table and all the adjustments available. I haven't even made a table for it yet because I haven't needed it. The only thing I think could be improved on the Delta are the Laser lines. They are easy to set but will also change position very easily. I have to check every time I use it that the cross spot hasn't moved. I end up not even using the laser most of the time.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hadn't. The saws are great deals....but the drill presses are only about 100 bucks off.....which I'd burn up in gas picking one up.

Thanks though.....find a saw yet?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I hadn't. The saws are great deals....but the drill presses are only about 100 bucks off.....which I'd burn up in gas picking one up.

Thanks though.....find a saw yet?

I am really leaning to the Grizzly G1023RLX, 52" cut. The Shop Fox W1820 would be a close second, but I see more comments about people having the G1023 series, and the Shop Fox is a few dollars more, but is closer to pick up. So I just need to do it.

Jon
Northern Michigan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts