Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

A friend sent me this link to a video of the Phillips Bros Mill, a steam powered wooden box factory that has been in operation in northern California since 1897: http://www.youtube.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs They power up a wood-fired steam engine and run the machines the old fashioned way - with wide leather belts.

I especially liked the twin blade resaw band saw and the belt powered planer. They put the inscriptions on the boxes by burning them on. It must take a lot of ingenuity to keep everything running.

I found this enjoyable to watch and thought you guys might like it, too.

Here's the mill's web site: http://phillipsbrothersmill.com/

Bill

·
where's my table saw?
28,746 Posts
That's cool

I had seen it before, but as with any old belt drive machinery, I'm always fascinated. There's a Old Steam Engine and Tractor Show in Buckley, MI the 3 weekend in August ...same as the Woodward Dream Cruise. :thumbdown: I can't do both. :no: Are you coming up for the Cruise this year Bill?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill - Yes, I plan to make it to the Dream Cruise. I got married a couple weeks ago but I think my new bride will let me take the trip! :laughing:

This time I want to stop and see you and not forget!

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Loved the video, but I couldn't help but notice what a deathtrap that place was. None of the belts/pulleys were guarded, exposed wiring, PPE was absent on a lot of the workers, and at the beginning, when he backs up under that overhang to empty that truck bed? Don't want to forget to duck on that one! And then I noticed that the dog was missing most of it's tail..... :eek:

Sorry folks, but I work in a plant where the corporate safety guru is taking a tour today, and if he were touring there, he'd have a baby right there on the floor! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How'd you like it when the guy half disappeared under that planer with an oil can. What could possibly go wrong? :eek:

Bill

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Fascinating to watch old machinery in action - but SAFETY was on my mind.

If anyone ever visits NE stop and see Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts. They have a water powered mill that is still in use. Here's a link
http://www.osv.org/sawmill

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
Safety Police. Please realize when this factory was originally built, safety was not looked at as it is today. Fast forward to present time. These guys are trying to preserve the factory for what it was back then. I am sure these guys are very aware of the dangers they face working in that factory.

Here in Michigan we have the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village (all on the same property). The place is full of old factories and technology of that time. They are all the same. My family visits the village and museum at lest twice a year. I love that old technology. It really shows how we have evolved into what we have today. Pretty cool stuff.

I would bet that if these guys ever get to the point that they can't maintain this old factory anymore, I really hope somebody like Greenfield Village can transport it to their site, so it can continue to be seen by people so we don't forget where we came from.

Mike Darr

·
Registered
598 Posts
I would LOVE to work in a place like that. I very much appreciate the originality of the equipment there. I see the inherent dangers, but jeeeeze... look at it for what it is and not from some bureaucratic standpoint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts