Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to bend some 1/4" plywood in a semi-circle, and I already have the template.

But, I don't have a wood steamer.
It's a small piece, only about 10" x 8" x 2".

Is there a way to do it with some household items I am likely to have?

·
where's my table saw?
28,567 Posts
steaming may delaminate the plywood

I would NOT use steam. Rather, the hot pipe method. You just heat a 2" or 3"' pipe with a propane torch, not red hot, just hot. Then wrap the plywood around and slide it back and forth with pulling it into the radius you need. Maybe a little tighter, so when it cools it will be the correct radius.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It needs to take the shape of the curve at the top.

Huh? You lost me with the dimensions. :huh:
By hand, without a template? I'm scared, I lack such skill/precision. :eek:

I would NOT use steam. Rather, the hot pipe method. You just heat a 2" or 3"' pipe with a propane torch, not red hot, just hot. Then wrap the plywood around and slide it back and forth with pulling it into the radius you need. Maybe a little tighter, so when it cools it will be the correct radius.

Hot Pipe Bending 1 - YouTube

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Could you resize your image. It's 1556 px wide. Could you make your images 850 px wide or less. Thank you.

I need to bend some 1/4" plywood in a semi-circle, and I already have the template.

But, I don't have a wood steamer.
It's a small piece, only about 10" x 8" x 2".
How can you have ¼" plywood, 10" x 8" x 2"?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Will the curved pieces be attached to hold them in place? With small pieces like those, boil a pot of water on the stove and place the plywood piece on top like a cover. It will soften up enough to bend within reason. I've done that in the past at about an 8" radius.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts