Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased HF 2HP DC model (thanks to SteveEl's post) and got it all hooked up to my table saw and router table. HF DC works great! :thumbsup:

But I do have 1 quick question...

I've noticed few static electric shock when my foot touched the DC hose when turning off the DC. I've also noticed saw dust that wasn't collected by DC (fell to the floor from the front of the saw blade) was sticking to the DC hose connected to the TS. How can I get rid of this static shock??? I'm still learning about DC and read some information about using a copper wire to ground the hose. Is this the best solution?

BTW, the TS, DC, and the router is all hooked up to the subpanel which was installed in the garage.

JB
 

·
OLD DUDE AT WORK
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
Air flowing through plastic can really kick up the shocks, it's been discussed here. Just search under DC install.
 

·
The village amadán.
Joined
·
792 Posts
Yes sir, they will bite you! A ground wire is a good thing to keep the static electricity from building up.

The best way (IMHO) is to add bare wire (#6 copper) grounding from all woodworking machines, through the inside of the dust pipe and to the grounded chassis of the dust collector. The circuit is completed through the ground pin of the outlet powering the system. This provides a path for the static electricity to travel safely and harmlessly to the earth. You can also add a grounding clamp to attach to the machine for the portable units.

Hope that helps.

Mac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
A quick fix is to just wrap a bare copper wire around the pipe coming out of the machine a couple of times and attach it back to the machine. This is what I do and it works great.
 

·
where's my table saw?
Joined
·
28,150 Posts
Agreed

A quick fix is to just wrap a bare copper wire around the pipe coming out of the machine a couple of times and attach it back to the machine. This is what I do and it works great.
I also wired it to the metal separator that's in between the bags and ran the wire down to the dust collector impeller/motor housing. That 6" hose is not electrically connected to either the separator or the impeller, so a bare copper wire is all I needed. The static shocks were impressive, to say the least. :eek: bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for all the ideas guys. Bill, yeah... Static shock I got was impressive. I almost jumped. Totally unexpected.

JB
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top