Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a correctional officer in AZ and have always loved woodworking. Took lots of technology courses in highschool and my dad has a shop in his basement back in NY. Scroll saw, ban saw, table saw, router, the whole kit. Im just starting to get into it again by making my own workbench for my new home.Don't have much to offer as of yet, but I hope to learn many tips and tricks of the trade. attached are a couple of images for my first project, two saw horses to prepare myself for my workbench and help with cutting plywood and such. Still getting use to the new circular saw, as you can tell from the burn marks, but getting use to it. Never used one before.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Welcome to the site. I'm fairly new myself. My suggestion is read just about every post and learn the search function.

On a side note, where in NY is your dad's place? I'm originally from Central NY myself. Grew up near a ski resort in maple & dairy farm country. Some days I miss it. Then I wait & the feeling goes away....:smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the site. I'm fairly new myself. My suggestion is read just about every post and learn the search function.

On a side note, where in NY is your dad's place? I'm originally from Central NY myself. Grew up near a ski resort in maple & dairy farm country. Some days I miss it. Then I wait & the feeling goes away....:smile:
Upstate, Syracuse to be exact. If you know the area he is by the Carousel Mall, or whats now called Destiny USA or something.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Upstate, Syracuse to be exact. If you know the area he is by the Carousel Mall, or whats now called Destiny USA or something.
I actually do know where that is. My father actually worked on the Carousel Mall when it was built back in the 80's.

I'm from about 55 miles south or so down I-81. Small town outside of Cortland called Virgil. Just down the road from Greek Peak Ski Resort. Beautiful area actually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually do know where that is. My father actually worked on the Carousel Mall when it was built back in the 80's.

I'm from about 55 miles south or so down I-81. Small town outside of Cortland called Virgil. Just down the road from Greek Peak Ski Resort. Beautiful area actually.
I used to play Ice hockey in Cortland all the time! Crazy.

This seems to be a nice forum and can't wait to learn what I can from everyone.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Welcome from Snowflake.
Looks like a good start towards a bench build. Gotta have something to hold the work.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I used to play Ice hockey in Cortland all the time! Crazy.
I had some high school friends that played during the 80's. Cortland was a pretty good hockey town, though I didn't follow it at the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought I'd update with some pictures. I have finished the saw horses and began work on the workbench. So much easier working with the circular saw waiste high instead of cutting everything on my hands and knees! Anyway. Pictures updated.

Attachments

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Very nice. Might I give you a hint...something I do on my bench... buy a piece of 3/4 insulating board...just dense styrofoam... and lay it across the bench or horses.
Saves that beautiful work from getting all chewed up. If you go with 1 1/2 thick, it will offer some support, too.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts