Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who lives on a lot with many trees. No surprise last years storms like Hurricane Sandy have caused a number of trees to fall.

He had most of the trees cut into lengths and then put in a pile. He has no need for these and said I could have whatever I want for turning.

This was the picture my friend sent of the pile. This was back in January. By now a few more pieces had been added.

Marty_log_pile_web.jpg

I told my friend I wanted to buy my own chainsaw. Took sometime to find a barely used Husqvarna 316E where the "E" mean electric. I did not expect to use this often and did not want to find a gas powered saw did not start when I needed it.

I picked up the saw on Thursday, then yesterday another woodworker/turner friend and I went over to cut some section for bowl blanks.

First challenge was that the almost new saw did not cut. As I was pondering this, my friend called out "Is the blade installed in the correct direction?". No it was on backwards,

A quick removal of the bar, flip the chain, re-install and voila, it cut very nicely with the chain mounted in the correct direction.

We cut a cherry log and a locust log. The friend thinks it is black locust, but his neighbour said it was honey locust. Either way, nice pieces of wood.

My friend took two of the cherry pieces and one locust. I took one cherry and two pieces of locust.

Log sections put on my saw horses to apply anchorseal. Not quite dry in this picture. Cherry is the top piece, the bottom two are the locust. The sections are about 12in diameter.

We only scratched the surface of this pile. We have a nice source for some future turning stock.

Wood_logs_cherry_locust_closeup_1635.jpg

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
I've put my chain on backwards to Dave, so don't feel bad. Nice stack of logs you got there.
Nice friend to.

·
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've put my chain on backwards to Dave, so don't feel bad. Nice stack of logs you got there.
Nice friend to.
I was not the one who installed the chain, but I am guilty of noticing the direction arrows on the links, but not thinking they pointed in the opposite direction to how the chain runs. :thumbdown:

I am happy to say I have never installed a bandsaw blade backwards. ;) A bare faced lie, but I am happy to say. :laughing:

Yes he is a nice friend. Also nice to do somethings for a friend. I made this vase for the friend to give to his wife for Mother's Day.

Flower_vase_Marty_top_bubinga_1483.jpg

He asked if I would restore a hand plane for him, so I picked up this Fulton 3710 at a local flea market.

I knew he wanted to display the plane and so I made the display stand. While at the house he showed me the plane on display on a pedestal. It looked good, and the display stand did make it look better.

The pedestal was next to his desk which was a table made from two large pieces of oak with butterflys to connect. Not natural edge, but I mentioned to my other friend that the butterflys reminded me of George Nakashima.

My friend came back in the room we mentioned how much we liked the table. It turns out the friends uncle had purchased this from George Nakashima before he became famous. When the uncle had to downsize he asked the family to pick what they wanted. My friend picked this gorgeous table.

So a "lowly" Fulton 3710 is now proudly displayed next to a George Nakashima table. Who would ever imagine such a pairing.

Plane_Fulton_3710_after_restoration_on_display_stand_1500.jpg

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Nice pile, imagine you will go back for more.

I would love to have access to a pile like that around here.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Beautiful wood, I can't wait to see what it becomes.

I vote black locust as well based on what I can see of the bark.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Dave P: just how badly do you want that gold mine of a wood pile?
You need to think, soon, about bucking that up and getting it all away from the bugs.
Otherwise, enjoy your pictures.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Honey locust is a lot different than black locust. The most obvious thing is honey locust will have very large very sharp thorns on the bark. I'm talking dangerous looking things that are 3 to 6" long and very sharp.
I'm on my second Husky chain saw. Never had a starting problem. Rarely does it take more than 3 pulls when it's cold and most of the time 1 when it's hot.
My dad complained about his electric saw not cutting. I turned the chain around and for him. Easy thing to do I guess if your new to chain saws.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
My dad complained about his electric saw not cutting. I turned the chain around and for him. Easy thing to do I guess if your new to chain saws.
My understanding is Dave bought it that way, second hand I presume, maybe he got a good price cause the other guy could not cut with it - hope thats what happened.

Im thinking of getting a husky or skhil hmm did I spell that right. Id like to get one (showing my almost complete lack of knowledge of these things) that could change the bar and do lighter work but still slab say 40"

·
Registered
407 Posts
Way to go Dave, I agree, they are black locust. Ask your friend what kind of flowers the trees have. If it has white, fragrant flowers then it is a black locust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts