Woodworking Talk banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
I've got two legs assembled and two waiting for glueup.

Table Wood Hardwood Composite material Wood stain

First I finished all the stock prep. I left everything about 3/32 oversized during the previous milling stage. I planed it all down to exactly 1.25" I planed all pieces for the last pass without adjusting anything. Then I ripped them 3/32" wide to give myself enough to plane it flush if the laminations slipped.

Wood Finger Religious item Tool Wrist

I also checked for any snipe around the tenon areas, and I made sure all the shoulder and tenon ends had a nice square end. This was important! Squaring up a board is a lot easier than adjusting a tenon cheek.

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Plank

Wood Rectangle Flooring Building material Wood stain

I like story sticks, so I made a story stick to lay out the legs. I laid out the tenons on the second from the outside lamination of the leg and cut out the waste using the tablesaw set to max height (almost).

Blue Wood Office supplies Writing implement Rectangle

I marked out where the tenon would be and used the mortise piece and a cutting guide. I tried to get the tape a little narrower than the opening so it wouldn't interfere with clamping.

Wood Naval architecture Composite material Engineering Gas

Then I clamped it up. I used 18g brads to hold the layers in alignment. My only hiccup was some glue that pooled in my mortise (tanks @Bob Bengal !

Total time: 24 hours

·
where's my table saw?
31,249 Posts
I think the "leave a gap mortise" is the smartest method ever!
I used it before on my Mission style headboard:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Nice headboard!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The pictures are out of order, but all legs are glued up and 6 out of the 8 mortises are cut and fit to the tenons.

Wood Flooring Rectangle Composite material Creative arts
Wood Tool Table Rectangle Desk

I hogged out the material on the drill press using a 5/8" forstener. It worked ok. I was over the line about .010 a few places, but it won't show. It did make it harder to chisel where I went over though because I didn't have a knife line to index.

Chiseling out the southern yellow pine isn't my favorite. The sap gums up your tools, and the soft early wood, the laminations and the hard latewood make it harder then it would otherwise be. It isn't as bad as a super hard wood, but it definitely is easier with super sharp chisels.

Wood Road surface Asphalt Floor Composite material

The glue ups are still the most annoying part of this build. Even with Brad nails, the wood still likes to creep. One of my legs was square at first, but must have gone out after I added the top clamps. I also realized too late that u added brads near the location where I will route the groove for my leg vise. I may go in with a drill bit first before I finish with the high speed of a router.
Wood Wood stain Floor Wall Flooring

The first dry fit is always nice...

Unfortunately after I got the legs assembled my father took a turn for the worse in his health. A lot of the time I spent in the shop on Friday and Saturday was pretty undirected, and I've been in the hospital with him since Monday night. He hasn't been awake much and he has transitioned into hospice care
This is an old photo of him and my mom with me.
Smile Facial expression Muscle World T-shirt

·
where's my table saw?
31,249 Posts
Quote:
Introspective chopping this morning.
Anything insightful revealed to you?
Like: "Shoulda used pocket holes"? "I need to sharpen my chisel" "This is taking longer that I figured"

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Quote:
Introspective chopping this morning.
Anything insightful revealed to you?
Like: "Shoulda used pocket holes"? "I need to sharpen my chisel" "This is taking longer that I figured"
I appreciate the levity and I did wind up sharpening my chisels a few times, but my father passed on Friday and I was mostly just bumming around in the shop without much direction or motivation. After I blued my 1" Kimmons chisel on the bench grinder I just hung it up for the day.

Reactions: woodnthings

·
where's my table saw?
31,249 Posts
Sorry for my inopportune comments, but if they lightened your day at all, that's good. If you need some friendly support we're here for you.
My advice in times of loss is to find another being or suffering animal who needs help, and to provide them comfort. That usually defects enough to get through it.
If circumstances allow it, adopt a dog. They never forget who rescued them. 🐶

Reactions: BigCountry79

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Sorry for my inopportune comments, but if they lightened your day at all, that's good. If you need some friendly support we're here for you.
My advice in times of loss is to find another being or suffering animal who needs help, and to provide them comfort. That usually defects enough to get through it.
If circumstances allow it, adopt a dog. They never forget who rescued them. 🐶
I'm bumming, but this isn't my first rodeo. I'm trying to keep a good humor about things as much as possible. The Pocket screws comment made me chuckle! Adding pocket holes to those legs would be like a mosquito bite on an elephant..."a mere flesh wound! "

We already adopted a dog and a stay cat, and I'm not sure we can take anymore in 🤔

Thanks for the kind words. Obsessively checking the forums has been part of the distraction while I was in the hospital with him.

Reactions: woodnthings

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Sorry for your loss, you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I‘m noticing your signature for the first time 👍🏻 We need a LOT more of that now - I wish our politicians knew something about it.

When my father died it was the end of a long, hard road, like yours, and knowing he wasn’t suffering anymore was something to fall back on, but the void is still there.

·
Registered
Termite
7,848 Posts
Are you talking about leaving a void while being glued up?

·
where's my table saw?
31,249 Posts
Are you talking about leaving a void while being glued up?
YUP. Much easier than chopping out a mortise, but only IF you can laminate the leg from 3 pieces.

·
Registered
Termite
7,848 Posts
I did this in the 90's on the raised with fluted legs. Rear panel 30" and the front was 24". When I made the raised panel frame and panels, I sanded a piece going into the post and added 2 pieces of 3/4 to the front and back for 5 total pieces, then once fluted I installed the panel. Posts are 3 3/4 × 3 3/4
Wood Wood stain Flooring Hardwood Material property

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Wood Textile Floor Curtain Art

This is my last glue up! Thank God! I really didn't like all the laminating of pine in the build. The stretchers did move a little the past month while I was doing other things. I got them flat enough to glue without thinning down the tenons too much.

Wood Flooring Floor Outdoor furniture Wood stain

The fit is really good. All I need to do for the base is mill for the leg vise and drill the draw bore holes before I assemble.

Total time:
33 hours (?)

61 - 80 of 120 Posts