Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Flattening the bundle with a scrub plane was pretty efficient and it got the glue of with it.

Table Furniture Wood Tool Desk

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Pattern Plywood

Taking the glue of probably added 5 minutes of planning time.

Jeans Joint Wood Textile Sleeve

The top is larger than I even expected. I knew the dimensions, but laying the three bundle together gives a different appreciation for the mass.

Total time: 12 hours

·
Registered
Termite
6,643 Posts
Too much on rough glue ups is perfect. Your not questioning whether its enough or not..

·
Registered
481 Posts
What do you guys think of these that I picked up for my build.
I don't anticipate ever moving it but someone may have to and I'm thinking north of 400#'s
It will be in the basement but I do have a walk out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Those look very sturdy. For infrequent moves, they look perfect.
Having to screw them out of the way every time would make them inconvenient for frequent use, though.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am considering these retractable casters. I know I would never use the ones that require a tool to activate

SPACECARE Workbench Casters Heavy Duty Retractable Casters,600 Lbs Capacity Set of 4 Stepdown Casters Wheels or Workbenches Tables and Equipments,Side Mounted Adjustable Table Casters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MBYRX8...abc_EY018CY02AMTT0XN4DJH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I have a set like that (I bought from Rockler) on my other bench. The only thing I question about it is # capacity.
It's#600 rating for all 4 so it would be @150# for each one.
When you lift that first caster it could be taking half the weight of the bench.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I have a set like that (I bought from Rockler) on my other bench. The only thing I question about it is # capacity.
It's#600 rating for all 4 so it would be @150# for each one.
When you lift that first caster it could be taking half the weight of the bench.
The bench will not be more than 300#or so.

I also see the 600# rating and expect it really means 600#

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,091 Posts
Something I found works great for large scale glueups is a rubber roller with a plastic handle. I found mine at one of the chain crafts stores in town. It cleans up easily even after glue has dried to it and spreads glue evenly without making a huge mess. Plastic housing and the roller snaps away from the handle..easy to clean.. (btw, a bucket of sawdust and some elbow grease makes cleaning up squeeze out easy.. Sprinkle sawdust and rub while still wet. Sawdust soaks it up for a LOT less mess..)
I'm probably going to rebuild my bench sometime this summer and give the old one away.
I found I don't really need a 4-5" thick bench. Mine is 3.25 and even that's too thick for most of my needs so I'll likely settle on about 2.5". I have a supplier locally who sells mostly flooring so I'll likely avoid the 2X route and go with 1X's or even 3/4 stock. Since i get 4/4 cypress really cheap, 1x5-6 pieces 48" long for around $2.20 per board I can stagger pieces, put square holes wherever i want or just drill em out for 3/4" dowels for dogs..still undecided on that.. Cypress is just about bulletproof when it comes to moisture so I'll never have to worry about warpage, etc. and has a similar texture and feel as pine, maybe slightly harder.. I'm probably going to buy an entire pallet load soon, about 200 or so boards..
I am going to stick with the same leg setup, tenon and mortises and use the same system used in the Paul Sellers builds, angled grooves(?) that allow me to just tap angles pieces in for a great friction fit. Check out how he does it online. I don't feel like typing all that out.. LOL
My old bench has stood up to everything I've thrown at it. The legs have never once wavered in the least, but I need it to be about 4" shorter because i want it to double as my outfeed table with one side with a hinged extension so I can rip really wide sheet goods without anything falling. I added the hinged extension on the old bench when I was building the gates this past summer. Home depot sells really heavy duty knock down locking shelf supports that are hinged..worked great with my 13" aprons so I'll probably reuse them on one side and put my vise on the opposite.. I don't really want a tool well anymore. I'm too much of a junk collector and it just fills up with any and everything, but I do want drawers and storage underneath so I still need to work on that idea..
Since the ceiling is almost 10 feet I'm strongly considering overhead storage to put all the junk that's always getting in my way, maybe lumber racks built into it, but I'm not entirely sure on that right now..
Well, now I'm just rambling but you get the idea..I really only intended to write about the rubber roller for glueups.. As you can undoubtedly tell, I NEVER get carried away in my thoughts whilst typing..;)

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
AP, I don’t know about cypress. Its not even as dense as pine. Guess it all depends on what you’re doing doesn’t seem like a good choice to me.

Speaking of which, my first bench was from a section of bowling alley lane given to me by a friend.

If you do get one, I suggest removing all the nails and glue back together. Mine also had cables running cross wise every few feet. Wreak havoc on a drill bit.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My top should finish at 2.75" or so. Son got his friends together and at 9:00pm got it out of the basement and loaded on the trailer a few days back.
Saw mill said will get it first thing yesterday morning. Told them Mon its over 225# . They now say next week a stronger guy is on Vacation now.
Yeah well some of my help will be back at college and more snow on the way...BOZO,s
Mine will have a power lift as I have some limitations...mulling over ideas.
Kind of PO'd about constantly being told to watch my self , didn't hold back telling the Doc so the other day. there sending my to a specialized PT hopefully I can gain some strength where I need it.
I'm off woodworking for a bit but I can still layout hole patterns and vice mounts.
Keep this thread Bumped.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Something I found works great for large scale glueups is a rubber roller with a plastic handle. I found mine at one of the chain crafts stores in town. It cleans up easily even after glue has dried to it and spreads glue evenly without making a huge mess. Plastic housing and the roller snaps away from the handle..easy to clean.. (btw, a bucket of sawdust and some elbow grease makes cleaning up squeeze out easy.. Sprinkle sawdust and rub while still wet. Sawdust soaks it up for a LOT less mess..)
I'm probably going to rebuild my bench sometime this summer and give the old one away.
I found I don't really need a 4-5" thick bench. Mine is 3.25 and even that's too thick for most of my needs so I'll likely settle on about 2.5". I have a supplier locally who sells mostly flooring so I'll likely avoid the 2X route and go with 1X's or even 3/4 stock. Since i get 4/4 cypress really cheap, 1x5-6 pieces 48" long for around $2.20 per board I can stagger pieces, put square holes wherever i want or just drill em out for 3/4" dowels for dogs..still undecided on that.. Cypress is just about bulletproof when it comes to moisture so I'll never have to worry about warpage, etc. and has a similar texture and feel as pine, maybe slightly harder.. I'm probably going to buy an entire pallet load soon, about 200 or so boards..
I am going to stick with the same leg setup, tenon and mortises and use the same system used in the Paul Sellers builds, angled grooves(?) that allow me to just tap angles pieces in for a great friction fit. Check out how he does it online. I don't feel like typing all that out.. LOL
My old bench has stood up to everything I've thrown at it. The legs have never once wavered in the least, but I need it to be about 4" shorter because i want it to double as my outfeed table with one side with a hinged extension so I can rip really wide sheet goods without anything falling. I added the hinged extension on the old bench when I was building the gates this past summer. Home depot sells really heavy duty knock down locking shelf supports that are hinged..worked great with my 13" aprons so I'll probably reuse them on one side and put my vise on the opposite.. I don't really want a tool well anymore. I'm too much of a junk collector and it just fills up with any and everything, but I do want drawers and storage underneath so I still need to work on that idea..
Since the ceiling is almost 10 feet I'm strongly considering overhead storage to put all the junk that's always getting in my way, maybe lumber racks built into it, but I'm not entirely sure on that right now..
Well, now I'm just rambling but you get the idea..I really only intended to write about the rubber roller for glueups.. As you can undoubtedly tell, I NEVER get carried away in my thoughts whilst typing..;)
You get carried away when you enjoy something...

Good tip on the rubber roller. I didn't want to buy one of those expensive foam rollers where the rollers cost $4-5 each. Instead, I used a 6" plastic trowel from Walmart. It works fairly well, but it is easy to over-apply glue, and it isn't great for spreading glue near the edges. The glue tends to flow over the side. I've done a lot of drywall, and it's similar to using mud that's too wet.

Hand Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Finger Bicycle part

I'm also not sure 4' cypress is the best choice. Especially if you need to butt joint the pieces together. Gluing the 2x pine was annoying enough. 4' x 3/4" sections would be 4x as many glue lines. You also might get more waste.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I used a 6" plastic trowel from Walmart.
Instead of a trowel with a straight edge have you tried something with teeth? I've had this set a few years and like enough of the items in it to be worth while. When I want a straight edge I cut a plastic lid like from a large yogurt, can of nuts etc.

Rockler has a three piece set with the spreader for $15, no doubt you can find cheaper else where. Or make one, but getting the gaps uniform doesn't appeal to me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The bench will not be more than 300#or so.

I also see the 600# rating and expect it really means 600#
Just stumbled in this video. take a look at how he connected the retractable casters together so both would take the load at once. Right at the start of the video. A simple idea to consider I will probably do to my existing bench.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I also didn't realize there were bragging rights associated with building a cheap bench from construction grade yellow pine...
You bet there are! The bench I built a couple months ago is a Paul Sellers European style bench, made out of premium SYP from Lowes. On it's own, maybe it's not a "brag", but the fact that I built it using only hand tools makes me very proud. Like you, it was something I'd been wanting to do for a while.

Most of my time was spent wrangling southern yellow pine and figuring out my cut list for a taller than normal 37-38" bench. (I'm about 6' 6" and my current 34" bench hurts my back. My 40" counter is a little high for handplanes though)
Interesting how people are different. I am 6'2.5", and my bench is 41" tall. I find it comfortable for chiseling and planing. I've had a back injury since I was about 29 (47 now), and I want to do as little bending at my bench as possible. I do acknowledge that I may have to build a separate assembly bench when I get back to building bigger stuff, like dressers and tables. Otherwise I'll probably be reaching for the ceiling to put anything together.

I also built in a tool well, and I find it to be great! It's a safe spot for my bench tools, and helps keep things tidy on the work surface.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Instead of a trowel with a straight edge have you tried something with teeth? I've had this set a few years and like enough of the items in it to be worth while. When I want a straight edge I cut a plastic lid like from a large yogurt, can of nuts etc.

Rockler has a three piece set with the spreader for $15, no doubt you can find cheaper else where. Or make one, but getting the gaps uniform doesn't appeal to me.
I strongly considered notching some holes in mine, but in the end, I probably wasted about $1 in glue and 10 minutes of my time getting the glue off. If I remember the next time I'm at rockler, I'll probably grab one.

Reactions: Bob Bengal

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I got the top assemblies surfaced flattened and square with the help of a friend. Wrangling the 60# beams onto my 6" jet jointer was a challenge even with a friend to help. Keeping them flat at the start and end was also a big challenge because it wanted to flip my jointer!

I definitely had a few nose dives going into the jointer, and it sagged a little more when it came out of the planer than I would have liked. So I had a decent amount of snipe.

I stopped with the beams mostly flat, and finished off the rest with a no 7. Moving them around to test fit was a real back breaker. It was also challenging not to set them on the corners and break the edge.

My buddy helped again to get them glued together. Having an extra set of hands helped a ton.

I didn't take any photos, but I glued them up on sawhorses again and set the clamps vertically. It worked really well and I didn't index with anything this time since it was only 2 joints.

Total time: 14 hours

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
With the top glued up, I took my no 5 two tone to task with an aggressive mouth, a straight edge and a set of winding sticks.

It was a decent workout, but I got the bottom pretty flat. The main trick at this point is finding somewhere to put the huge top while I'm working on everything. I just used some sawhorses and a quick clamp to prevent it from skidding off the top.

Table Furniture Wood Outdoor table Road surface

I was about ankle-high in shavings from all the planing I hadn't cleaned up, so I also cleaned up all that stuff.

Total time: 16 hours

End result was pretty good, and the worst gap I had was about this bad (in the underside of the top)

Hair Brown Beige Wood Flooring

It's looking pretty good!
Wood Ingredient Cutting board Hardwood Food

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
This afternoon I got started on the legs. I ripped, crosscut and dimensioned them to within 3/32" of final thickness. I will let them sit a day or so then bring them all down to 1.25" x 5".

Tire Wood Wheel Flooring Floor

Table Wood Rectangle Tool Hardwood

Total time: 18 hours

41 - 60 of 79 Posts