Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
31,480 Posts
Another means of knocking down a bench would be "wedged tenons". They can always be tightened up if the need arises.
You should watch this method of making through leg tenons before you laminate your top. It makes those type of tenons FAR easier than chopping them through 5" thick stock!

Same idea from Christopher Schwarz (who should keep his hands in his pockets when he talks):

·
where's my table saw?
31,480 Posts
Yah, but then it wouldn't be an Anarchist's workbench. That's the "bragging rights" part of the project.
To your solution, even a solid core door and a 3/4" particle board screwed down will make a "good enough" work surface, BUT you can't put a vise on it and start edge planing it because it will slide off the horse closest to you. If it falls off the horse, it won't get itself back on to ride again.... just sayin'

Reactions: Tool Agnostic

·
where's my table saw?
31,480 Posts
I know everyone has opinions on benches, and I appreciate that, but I have also found that if you try to take everyone's ideas from their use case and combine them into a "one bench that combines all the features", then you usually wind up with something awkward and compromised...

I also didn't realize there were bragging rights associated with building a cheap bench from construction grade yellow pine...I consider the Scandinavian style benches and houndstooth dovetails more of a fancy/bragging rights bench, but maybe there's something I wasn't aware of (?)
No, you are correct.
I made that statement in my post above, assuming that no one would get any bragging rights from throwing together a top on some saw horses. Even a laminated 2X top wouldn't qualify in my opinion because there's essentially no hand work involved in making that top except for flattening it.
Instead, those bragging rights would come from a making a bench that was painfully and carefully hand crafted with proper mortise and tenons and dovetails and weighs at least 600 lbs. There should be no confusion as to who gets the "bragging rights" !

·
where's my table saw?
31,480 Posts
I think the "leave a gap mortise" is the smartest method ever!
I used it before on my Mission style headboard:

·
where's my table saw?
31,480 Posts
Quote:
Introspective chopping this morning.
Anything insightful revealed to you?
Like: "Shoulda used pocket holes"? "I need to sharpen my chisel" "This is taking longer that I figured"

·
where's my table saw?
31,480 Posts
Sorry for my inopportune comments, but if they lightened your day at all, that's good. If you need some friendly support we're here for you.
My advice in times of loss is to find another being or suffering animal who needs help, and to provide them comfort. That usually defects enough to get through it.
If circumstances allow it, adopt a dog. They never forget who rescued them. 🐶

Reactions: BigCountry79

·
where's my table saw?
31,480 Posts
Are you talking about leaving a void while being glued up?
YUP. Much easier than chopping out a mortise, but only IF you can laminate the leg from 3 pieces.

·
where's my table saw?
31,480 Posts
That sure is some pretty wood! For Pine anyway LOL.
The bench will be an heirloom piece for certain. Nice work.

Reactions: BigCountry79
1 - 8 of 8 Posts