Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I do want to keep this thread kinda going, but I really expect the longest part of this timeline to be me waiting for the pine to dry out enough to work. I am hoping to rip them around Thanksgiving, and get the bench really started around Christmas.
Are you ripping them to make 2x4s?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Southern yellow pine is denser and the larger stock tends to warp less as it dries (hopefully).

Also, because it's wider, when I rip it, I won't have as much flat grain trying to cup. I'll basically have one quarter sawn edge and one rift sawn edge.
Interesting I have a stack of 12' former roof rafters that are 2 x 8s that I'm thinking of using for mine. I'm not sure how old they are, but the wood is not light like pine, maybe spruce or fir. My workbench is going to be smaller than most because my space is minimal, so I may not need more than 2x4s, which I plan to use for the legs and frame as well, doubled up. They are pretty straight. I'm trying to use what I already have, I don't expect to need it to last a hundred years, I'll be happy to get 5-7 years' use out of it myself. lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well, southern yellow pine is one of the denser softwoods, and common joist material in the Midwest and Eastern US.

2x8 ripped in half is still a decent thickness for the top. How many do you have? If you want to make a 6' bench, each one will give you 5" or 5.5" of width on your top. I'm tired of a bench that scoots around the basement floor, so I'm going for heft.
My "workshop" is a 10' x 10' shed, and I have to
move things around a lot, so mine will have locking wheels.

·
Registered
207 Posts
For Others:

In case you don't know, Christopher Schwarz has authored several books on woodworking workbenches, their history and design. "The Anarchist's Workbench" is a 334 page book containing the culmination of Christopher's research about woodworking workbench design. It is primarily focused on delivering detailed instructions to build your own "Anarchist's Workbench", based on the best features that Christopher has learned, along with the reasons and justifications for those choices.

Christopher Schwarz has generously made "The Anarchist's Workbench" available as a free PDF file download, or you can purchase a printed copy of the book in various forms. The book and PDF file are updated from time to time.

Information about "The Anarchist's Workbench", including how to order a print copy and the link to download the free PDF file:
https://lostartpress.com/products/the-anarchists-workbench

Here is a link to the free PDF file, as a convenience. This link points to the June 2020 version of the book, which is updated from time to time. Check the general web page above, to make sure that Christopher has not released another update since I posted this link:
https://blog.lostartpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/AWB_Consumer_June-2020_v5.1-1.pdf
Thanks so much for that link!! 😄

1 - 6 of 6 Posts