Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. I did hobby woodworking before I retired and am now trying to get set up in another shop. The problem I had with my other shop was trying to find affordable wood to work with. When the lumber yards wanted $5.00 a linear foot for white oak and poplar lumber, nobody wanted to pay what I had to charge to just get the money I had wrapped up in an item. But now I have 10 acres of good hardwood timber and a bandsawmill to saw my own lumber and a planer/molder to finish it with so I will try and get back into what I love to do. My kids will be my best customers because they know I will build what they want free. So I won't have to worry about not being able to keep busy in the near future.

·
Registered
227 Posts
family

There always semed that when you get something done, the family always wants something. But that's why we do what we do.
I am new to this forum. I did hobby woodworking before I retired and am now trying to get set up in another shop. The problem I had with my other shop was trying to find affordable wood to work with. When the lumber yards wanted $5.00 a linear foot for white oak and poplar lumber, nobody wanted to pay what I had to charge to just get the money I had wrapped up in an item. But now I have 10 acres of good hardwood timber and a bandsawmill to saw my own lumber and a planer/molder to finish it with so I will try and get back into what I love to do. My kids will be my best customers because they know I will build what they want free. So I won't have to worry about not being able to keep busy in the near future.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the weather doesn't get better I may be building an ark before spring. I have never before seen so much rain, wind and wet, sloppy snow in this area. My sawmill is sitting idle because it is too wet to get the logs back to it.

·
Woodworking Firefighter
513 Posts
I'll take all the rain you don't want. I'm in GA and we have been on a complete water ban for since summer. I just wanna wash my car and get the lake full again..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There always semed that when you get something done, the family always wants something. But that's why we do what we do.
It does seem that way but for family I will do it. It is when "friends" start coming out of the woodwork that I start backing up. One never realizes just how many friends he has acquired over the years until he has something they want or he wins the lottery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like hog heaven. Welcome Jack.
It really should be "Hog Heaven" and I guess it is to an extent. But I find that there is a lot of work between felling a tree and getting the lumber into a 8-10% drying state. I sawed about 1000 feet of assorted hardwood ( Hard Maple, Hickory and White and Red oak last fall and, since it has rained and snowed so much this year, it is not air-drying worth a darn. So I will either have to bring it into my shop and crowd my woodrack to the limit or wait another several months before I can use it. So far I don't have a drying kiln but may have to design and build one before I get any real satisfaction.

How many of you guys out there find that you work harder after retiring? than you did while working an 8 hour day?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll take all the rain you don't want. I'm in GA and we have been on a complete water ban for since summer. I just wanna wash my car and get the lake full again..
It normally is dry and windy here in early spring but this year it simply won't stop raining and snowing. I tell my wife it is because I want to start working in wood again and can't get what I sawed last fall dried enough to work with it. But I have built myself a 24" X 40" router table and drew up plans for a 4' X 7' assembly table. So if it ever does stop the wet-stuff I should be about set to go to work, even if I have to buy a little " store-bought" lumber.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the site Jack Brannon!
Isn't computers a gift of God when they are used right? I can remember desperately trying to find information on the Army outfit my brother was a member of and was killed in action in in WW11 and the battle I fought trying to do it through our postal service. I received everything but information on the outfit. I even received a really nice 8X10 glossy of Blackjack, General Pershing's horse. Now what the horse had to do with the First Special Service Force I will never know. But 5 years ago when I got my first computer I had all the information I fought so hard to obtain in a matter of minutes. I also found that the secretary of the outfit lived in Lafayette, Indiana on 5th. street, and I lived on 5th. street about 10 blocks from his house. But I did not find this put until I had left Indiana and he had passed away

Life can sure deliver some harsh blows at times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts