Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I am in the early stages of designing a kitchen table. My wife wants me to build something similar to the table shown below. She wants to paint the base off white or cream ( is painting a no-no on a woodworking forum?) with a dark stain on the top. A friend and I scored a bunch of walnut boards and I would like to use them for the top. Since the bottom will be painted I am thinking about going with pine to keep the costs down. The legs can can be pricey even in pine if I have to order them online so I am going to do some research and see if there is somebody local who can turn them for me. I certainly don't mind paying, but I would love to watch them being turned and learn a little in the process.

Shelf Furniture Table Sofa tables Coffee table

Before I get too far along can you guys tell me if you see any fatal flaws with this plan? Also, any suggestions on where to find the legs. I have seen similar ones on websites for around $80 or $90 each in pine.

Thanks

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

The table will be 96"x43"x30". I will use something better for the base like poplar. Do you have any other suggestions on how to make the base more stable?

I agree that the walnut will be dark enough without stain, not sure what I was thinking. Should I use a paste wax or something else? I don't want a really glossy finish.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the finishing tips guys. I am going to play around with a few scrap pieces and see what looks the best with the wood I have.

I am going to ask around on our local woodworking forum and see if somebody is up for turning the legs. Stay tuned....

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well I had hoped I would be done with this project right now, but life got in the way and instead I am just now finalizing the design. Please take a look at the sketches I have attached and feel free to provide feedback on materials, joints, dimensions, or anything else. I apologize for the crappy scan quality in the markups PDF.
I plan to use mortise and tenon for the apron/leg and stretcher/leg joints. Should I also use a corner plate for the apron/leg joints or is that overkill? I may go with a half lap joint where the stretchers meet depending on how good I am at mortise and tenons.....I have never done them before.
I plan to use soft maple for the base. I have spoken with the folks at Osborne and they do not work with poplar so they recommended soft maple because it also takes paint very well. Sadly I haven't had much luck finding somebody to turn the legs locally. I am leaning towards just sucking it up and ordering the legs even though they are $79 each. It is painful, but I figure a good used lathe is going to be at least $200 plus attachments and each leg is about 5 bf so there is another $60-$80. The top is still walnut but I haven't decided on a finish yet. I plan to test a few different finishes on scrap to get an idea of what I...and more importantly what my wife likes.
Alright let me know what you think guys. I am in way over my head here but that probably goes without saying.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.