Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a Stanley sweetheart dovetail saw at an estate sale a couple years ago and have not been able to find any information about it anywhere. It has a 10 inch blade and has the number 803 on it. The number is kind of hard to see but it for sure has the iconic sweetheart logo. Does anyone know anything about this saw and why I can't find anything about it?

·
Registered
679 Posts
That is a mystery. I have the Stanley Antique & Collectible book which supposedly lists every tool Stanley ever made and I cannot find it. The only listing for # 803 is a folding rule. As John said, photos will help.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So this number is 836. Sorry I forgot what it was. I can only upload one picture at a time for some reason and it flips he image so I hope you all can see it. I hope the pictures help.

Attachments

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
I'm stumped. My gut says its was a miter box saw that someone slapped a handle from a different saw on. Do you mind if I repost your pictures to the folks over at backsaw and see if anyone knows?

Also, I noticed your comment on your profile, you can change your user name - click the report button on your own post and type a request to the mods explaining what happened and ask that it be changed. They will change it for you.

·
Mossback
1,565 Posts
The handle is a Disston made sometime between 1918 and 1930.

Stanley didn't make back saws or miter box saws.

Disston made most or all of the saws that came with Stanley miter boxes, but this is not a typical miter box saw. I can only assume that it came with a small Stanley miter box of some kind.

Toby

·
Mossback
1,565 Posts
Stanley also sold many different tool chests and tool cabinets complete with tools, and the saws were made by Disston, this could be from one of those.

Toby

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm stumped. My gut says its was a miter box saw that someone slapped a handle from a different saw on. Do you mind if I repost your pictures to the folks over at backsaw and see if anyone knows?

Also, I noticed your comment on your profile, you can change your user name - click the report button on your own post and type a request to the mods explaining what happened and ask that it be changed. They will change it for you.
Yeah feel free to repost the picture. Even if it is a miter box saw I still haven't really found anything about any sweetheart saw. Thanks for helping and for the advice about my username.

·
Mossback
1,565 Posts
The S.W. in the heart design appeared "according to my sources", in
various configurations below the notched rectangle STANLEY logo, from c.
1920 to c. 1934. It was preceded by the "V logo" and followed by the
simple notched rectangle.
Before 1920 the Stanley Rule and Level Co. and Stanley Works
existed as two separate companies (it's a long story...) For some time
before the merger of the two firms in 1920, Stanley Works had been using
the heart logo with SW inside, in recognition of company stalwart William
H. Hart, who served the firm for 61 years and was Chairman of the Board
from 1915-18 (when he "retired" at age 84 and died the following year!).
After the merger, tradition has it that employees were invited to suggest a
new logo for the now united operation, and what we now call the Sweetheart
logo on Stanley tools was born. Although the use of the SW in the heart
was formally dropped in favor of the simple notched rectangle in 1934, the
older combination logo still came out of the plant on various product lines
until the old stock was used up over the next several years.
From here.

The "Sweetheart" Stanley products are simply tools that were produced from 1920 to 1934. It was part of their logo during that time.

Toby

·
Registered
679 Posts
I ran the 836 # in my Stanley book, still no match. I think the others are right that you have some sort of mis-match of parts here.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran the 836 # in my Stanley book, still no match. I think the others are right that you have some sort of mis-match of parts here.
Thanks for looking in your book. I agree that I might have a mis-matched saw but the saw blade is for sure sweetheart. I know that sweethearts were made during the 20s and 30s. I know a lot about the sweetheart hand planes but there is not much about sweetheart saws. We're there other sweetheart saws in you Stanley book?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks for looking in your book. I agree that I might have a mis-matched saw but the saw blade is for sure sweetheart. I know that sweethearts were made during the 20s and 30s. I know a lot about the sweetheart hand planes but there is not much about saws. We're there other sweetheart saws in you Stanley book?
The only saws in the book are ones supplied with the toolbox kits and the mitre boxes such as the 60-1/2 and 346 but they are full 26" backsaws. The saws in the tool kits are a smaller version of a conventional handsaw, not backsaws. The only other saw is in the Four Square lineup #1124 8 point saw. The Four Square line was a lower quality line of tools produced from 1923 to 1935 and targeted the home owner or casual handyman. Still no sign of a Sweetheart, you may have a rare one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was there any resolution to this feed? I have the exact same saw. I bought it at an estate sale about 4 years ago and have never been able to find any info about it. Any updates?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts