Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at picking these up - but I am a little gun shy due to the recurring reviews of chisels falling out of the handles.

Have you guys experienced this at all?

Curtis

·
Registered
256 Posts
The handles need to be "set" by the user. I usually coat the tenon with some bees wax and give them a couple raps with a mallet. That does the trick.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just picked up a set of those. Just scratch off the lacquer on the end of the handle with with 80 grit sand paper, and then give it a nice rap against the workbench to seat the handle into the socket.

All in all, a good purchase, a set of four for $65 open/damaged box on amazon. Didn't take a whole lot of effort to get the back flat at all, maybe 15mins for all four

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That's normal for socket chisels of all types. Wood moves. In low humidity during the winter the handles will shrink and loosen up, hammer heads get loose on their handles, joints on woodwork can open, etc.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent - thanks guys. My goal is to not make the mistake with hand tools that i did with power tools. I'd like to only buy good tools that last a lifetime. I'm not looking to pick up a throwaway tool that i end up dumping within a couple years.

Curtis

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have 1 lie Nielson socket chisel and the handle was loose on it when I got it. A few knocks set it solid. That's the beauty of socket chisels, hitting them keeps the handle in place. If you don't like the handle you can make your own.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I pulled the trigger on the chisels and a new vise yesterday. Between that, the hand planes that I am restoring and the saws that I bought from Firemedic, I think I'm on my way.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I bought a set right before Christmas. I love em. The steel takes a super keen edge and has better edge retention than I expected considering how easy it is to hone. I think the people complaining about the handles falling out just don't have any experience with socket chisels & don't realize that the handles need to be seated properly. I recently chopped a notch to install this face vise in solid hard maple using a backsaw to cut the shoulders and the 1" socket chisel to waste it out. The chisel still doesn't need to be sharpened.

Table Wood Floor Hardwood Room

1 - 8 of 8 Posts