Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been a good week for flea markets. Picked up this No. 80 scraper for $15 @ the same dirt mall I got my Bailey No. 5. I'm sure I could have found one a bit cheaper, especially considering the lack of blade, but I was just happy to see one right in front of me, and I didn't find a better buy today, soooo... Almost enough rusty iron to set up the electrolysis tank. This is a very simple tool, so I guess my only question is this: aside from Lee Valley, is there anywhere else to purchase blades for these? I could probably shop around for an original blade, but I didn't buy this for authenticity, I bought it to scrape wood. I'm not opposed to buying from Lee Valley, though they are a bit spendy for my blood, but I always like to examine my options. Thanks!

WCT

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so I don't know what I did wrong searching the first time, but I now see that there are several suppliers to choose from. So, who, in your opinion, would provide the most bang(scrape) for my buck? Hock is pricey, more so than lee valley, but they recieved excellent reviews. The English Stanley blades seemed to get panned more often than not, so I don't think I'll go that direction. Let me know if I'm missing anything, and of course, opinions. Thanks!

·
Drives his wife nuts...
202 Posts
Hock blades are wonderful. I have one in a #7 that I restored and it showed me how a plane should work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts