Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who wouldn't fall for this beauty? OK, she needs just a little help to get back to looking as good as she can. A little dusting off, a little wax and buff job.........:no:..........OK, she needs a ground up resto :yes:.

The tote and knob are in great shape and everything is there parts wise. So why not?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The easy part.......and a bonus!

OK got started on the easy stuff first and thought I'd put up a couple of pictures.

And the smalls:

And now for the bonus:

The iron turned out to be a Stanley "V" type iron, in use from 1912 through 1918. :smile: Progress will be made with the base but at a slower pace. One thing to remember with these old tools is that we might not be the first one to think about making it look good again. Somewhere in this planes life it was repainted and was done without stripping so it will have to be taken down to the bare metal and then painted. I am going with high gloss black epoxy. More progress pictures as it's made. Dave

·
7,222 Posts
Very nice progress so far. :thumbsup:

Not in bad shape. I have restored planes with a lot more rust.

I have run across a previous bad paint job in my restorations. If I am going to re-paint I like to get to bare metal.

It does take time to clean off the old paint. I use stripper then scrape off what the stripper did not remove. Some areas can be very stubborn.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice progress so far. :thumbsup:

Not in bad shape. I have restored planes with a lot more rust.

I have run across a previous bad paint job in my restorations. If I am going to re-paint I like to get to bare metal.

It does take time to clean off the old paint. I use stripper then scrape off what the stripper did not remove. Some areas can be very stubborn.
Hi Dave, They can be in amazingly bad shape and still be brought back to life and look good if you're willing to put in the time on them can't they. Some of these old Stanley planes are just too much $$$ to buy one in nice shape. Getting a "fix-er-upper from ebay or luckout at a garage sale or flea market may be the best opportunity for many. Plus, to me, it's very enjoyable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
looking forward to seeing this completed...I was looking at an old #7 the other day at an antique store...it is missing the tote though so not sure but may go back and look and see if everything else is there....anyways I love these restore threads...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've got the frog taped up and ready to paint, here is a "before paint" picture.

There are shadows and light highlights on the metal but there is no old paint. I also got the base ready, here is a picture before I got it taped up.

I'll get it taped up and painted this afternoon and can post more progress tomorrow. I'm going to try the gloss black epoxy paint on this one.

·
7,222 Posts
Very nice clean up on the base casting. :thumbsup:

Looking good. The cleanup and preparation for painting can take me a long time. The actual painting goes fast.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dave

I agree about the prep work.......but the more careful you are the better the results with the painting. I put a light coat on the frog and already I see that the epoxy type paint takes much longer to set up than the high gloss lacquer does. Oh well, since I started with it, I'll finish with it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looking forward to seeing this completed...I was looking at an old #7 the other day at an antique store...it is missing the tote though so not sure but may go back and look and see if everything else is there....anyways I love these restore threads...
Thanks Ted I know there are more guys out there that enjoy working on these old planes as much as I do too. One bit of advice I'd give is to try to find a plane that is complete and no broken parts. You can get totes and knobs and whatever else but that just adds to the cost and defeats the purpose. They can be in terrible shape but if it's complete, you're a step ahead in my book. Not to bang eBay's drum but they are loaded with just about any plane you could hope to find. Grab ya one and go for it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Zymguy this plane was cleaned up using several methods, starting with the least destructive which was EvapoRust. I soaked everything but the base. After a few hours I scrubbed all the stuff and then put it to a wire wheel to get the grey film off. The base was just too big to do that with, I would have needed another gallon or two to get enough depth in my container. A guy could make some sort of narrow and long container for stuff like 6, 7 and 8's though. Anyway, I just plunked it in an electrolysis bath and went to bed. Then what paint was loose came off and I wire brushed it and then used a chemical stripper on the japanning that was exposed. That took a few applications, and then soap and water scrub and more wire brushing. Toward the last I was using very small wire wheels in a Dremel tool. This got it all down to bare metal. If it wouldn't have I would have sandblasted it using play sand at as low a pressure as I could and be effective. Usually 65~70 psi will do the job.

Timetestedtools has a very good "how to" on restoring hand planes that's well worth a look.

Anyway that's the work part, next is painting the metal and then the worst job of it all and that's sanding the knob and tote. After you get those dolled up just put it back together. If it's going to be a user, sharpen and hone the blade before you set it back together. Hope this helps, Dave

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Next time you need to evaporust a #6 or larger and need a long shallow container, look at plastic drywallers mud trays or wallpaper glue trays.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The base and frog are painted and here is the frog and a close up of the frog mount on the base.

Hi Don, I was hoping you'd notice this.....very close to trying to make shavings. The iron was way out of whack and I'm working on it in sessions. I'm still trying to get it back to 25* , I work on it till my fingers and arms get sore then do something else. I'm using that Stanley kit. The stone is way too hard and smooth for this preliminary grind. I'm using the HF set of 3 diamond hones.

·
7,222 Posts
Looking very good. :thumbsup:

I feel your pain with getting the blade back to a decent bevel. Most of my restorations have very bad edges from previous user.

I prefer to use hand sharpening rather than belt sander or grinder. Too easy to take off too much with the power tools.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts