Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first plane, spent about $40 shipped to me from ebay, here are some pictures fresh out of the box. I guess the first thing I need to do is take it all the way apart, it looks like it has all the pieces. So far I do not see any patent dates on it, but I will keep looking.

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Bought my first plane, spent about $40 shipped to me from ebay, here are some pictures fresh out of the box. I guess the first thing I need to do is take it all the way apart, it looks like it has all the pieces. So far I do not see any patent dates on it, but I will keep looking.
I would not expect to see patent dates. If I am correctly seeing diagonal knurling on the brass adjustment wheel, this may be a Type 18 which was after many of the patents had expired.

Look for the Type Study in the upper right menu's then scroll down. Lots of pictures on this site for reference.

http://www.rexmill.com/

The plane looks to be in good condition. Not badly rusted, blade seems full length.

This should clean up well and be a very useful addition to your tools.

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
What's with all the number 6's lately.
Seems like a popular plane. Laughing!!!!

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
Dave Paine said:
It was a popular hand plane for its time.

You are only laughing since you paid the pittance of $5 for your plane. :icon_smile:

I am STILL jealous.
Lol. I got lucky
Just hope I have time to clean it up. Get home from work and don't feel like doing anything.
You know what I mean.

·
7,222 Posts
Lol. I got lucky
Just hope I have time to clean it up. Get home from work and don't feel like doing anything.
You know what I mean.
Yes, you were very lucky. ;)

I understand the energy thing. Been in the same situation many times.

I will take pity on you. Send me the plane and I will swop you for another mallet - this time with the wolf as the button. Then you can have two things gathering dust instead of just one. :icon_smile:

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
Dave Paine said:
Yes, you were very lucky. ;)

I understand the energy thing. Been in the same situation many times.

I will take pity on you. Send me the plane and I will swop you for another mallet - this time with the wolf as the button. Then you can have two things gathering dust instead of just one. :icon_smile:
Sounds good to me.
It's yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts