Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my type 16+ Stanley No.5 with a nice older one. The sole has two patent dates of MAR-25-02
and Aug-19-02

the lateral lever has Pat 7-24-88 STANLEY

and the iron has tm STANLEY
Pat Ap'l 19,92

So this would be a type 8 correct? :confused1: Thank You.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Dave, I use that one too along with that "Mega-Hyper" blah blah one that takes a while to figure out. What is distracting to me are the little differences in descriptions between sites. All good information but I think you have to get as much information as you can and then see how it all stacks up with the others. I'm stumped at hyperkitten step 2......what is a frog rib?

·
7,222 Posts
and also remember a lot of planes do not fall exactly into a type. Stanley would use up parts they had. Parts also got replaced over the years, so keep it all in mind when trying to find the types.
To illustrate this point, my most recent No. 6. The sole has a hole for a from adjustment screw, but the frog did not have the hole for the frog adjustment screw bracket.

I do not think the frog was replaced. It feels like a case of the old frogs being consumed even though the new soles had the frog adjustment hole.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
To illustrate this point, my most recent No. 6. The sole has a hole for a from adjustment screw, but the frog did not have the hole for the frog adjustment screw bracket.

I do not think the frog was replaced. It feels like a case of the old frogs being consumed even though the new soles had the frog adjustment hole.
I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head Dave. I worked for General Motors for several years and I can tell you, there are never any "leftover parts". That's why repair manuals have asterisks....."style A, style B, old style, new style, "early, late" etc. All these facts can are a part of an old plane's charm....or any vintage tool for that matter.

And after looking at several ID sites, and taking into account all the available facts, I can say my "new" No.5 is definitely a type 8...... Um.....or maybe a 9 LOL :laughing:

·
Registered
326 Posts
And after looking at several ID sites, and taking into account all the available facts, I can say my "new" No.5 is definitely a type 8...... Um.....or maybe a 9 LOL :laughing:
I have both type 8 and type 9, Stanley.
The plane your described is a type 9, the "New Style Frog", which has those dates behind the frog. The type 8 is the last of the the "Old Style Frog" which has no patent date behind the frog, it has a letter B stamped instead. Also the lever cap on the backside has the same letter stamped, along with the underside of the frog. My type 9 is one of my favorites.

Edit:
Should of said raised not stamped..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts