Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I recently bought one from a Woodworking forum that appears to be in about that condition. Mine had the original wooden box and all parts except the nicker spurs. I paid $175. Right after I bought another got posted (same forum) for $150 that might have been just a shade nicer. :furious:. But on e bay the dang things go for crazy prices (IMHO).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I didn't realize they could bring that kind of money. I was hoping an offer of $50-$75 would be fair. But I don't want to offend the guy. I don't do much hand work, but I'm very interested in learning. I have accumulated a few planes. Stanley No7, Stanley Bailey No5, Stanley Handyman No5, Craftsman smoother (which was my dad's who never woodworked in his life),which works way better than I expected.
I don't really know that I would have a use for the No45.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
444 Posts
The 45 is a treat to have around if you feel like doing it the old fashioned way.
I love mine, but still haven't learned how to utilize it the best way.
Sharpening the irons can be tricky, and needs to be done well to tackle any cross grain work.
I purchased mine as a part of a package deal... I think the whole shebang (several planes and chisels) came in around $200 or so.
There was a frenzy online 2 years ago for 45's,but it's calmed down now, and I think $50-80 is a fair price for a good condition plane with a near complete set of cutters.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Depends on what type some types where only made for 2yeRs or 1 year like the type 9 was 1 T 10 was two years. those types are around same as type3's the 9s are close t1&t2's just as a example. I can type it for you if you like. Some are more scarce then others. When I say close i mean being scarce. The word rare is a long shot. A lot of people throw that word around a bronze #12 Leonard Bailey scraper is rare not made by stanley

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He kindly declined my offer and did not make a counter offer
I kindly said goodbye.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using woodworkingtalk.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts