Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today a co-worker brought me two hand planes that he hasn't used in years: image-2658632001.jpg The bigger one is a Stanley, it says "Stanley 12-205" on it, and is 14 inches long. The smaller one has no markings on it whatsoever, just a couple numbers stamped on the underside of the red "knob"... The Stanley's blade has "Made in England", "Stanley", and "25 degree grind angle" on it; the handle and front knob are black plastic instead of wood. I cleaned them up a little, with a wire brush and a bit of 3in-1 oil: image-1854399687.jpg image-2795299725.jpg image-2841756473.jpg I'd like to restore at least the Stanley (is it one of those "no.5 bench/jack" planes?) to more or less "almost new" condition, but have no idea how...especially to remove the "worm-track" rust(?) etching that it has...overall it's in great shape ut most likely needs a good blade sharpening... the smaller one might be missing a part, methinks... Suggestions, opinions?

·
7,222 Posts
The 12-205 is a "modern" Stanley No. 5, at the time made in UK. May now be made in Mexico.

I am not sure what you mean by "worm track rust". I am not seeing rust in the pictures.

Superficial rust is easily removed with e.g., WD-40 and wet-dry paper, e.g., 220 or finer grit.

Lots of restoration threads on this forum, some are mine. Take a look. The methods of rust removal are covered in the threads, Evapo-Rust, Oxalic Acid, Electrolysis.

All of my restorations so far needed the blade to be sharpened. Some needed replacement blades.

The small block plane looks to be missing the front knob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts