Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about this old drill? I needed a drill capable of spinning a 6" hole saw and my 18v DeWalt dosnt like too. A guy at work heard me talking about going to the pawn shop to buy an old beater drill for this purpose and said he had one that fit the bill. This is what he brought me. The plate says..

Stanley
91745 1/2" DRILL
MODEL.71 115 VOLTS AC-DC
650 R.P.M. 6.3 AMPS
MADE IN U.S.A.

I cant find anything on the net about it. Mainly just curious about when it was made and if it will handle a 6" hole saw. Im only drilling 1/2" plywood. It only has a forward speed. I gave him 20 bucks for it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You need a slow speed drill for a hole saw---especially a 6" one---those hole saws are wrist breakers---

If possible--use a drill press--or make a guide out of plywood so if the tool binds up and jumps out of the hole,your work piece is protected from the run away tool.

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You need a slow speed drill for a hole saw---especially a 6" one---those hole saws are wrist breakers---

If possible--use a drill press--or make a guide out of plywood so if the tool binds up and jumps out of the hole,your work piece is protected from the run away tool.
Its an old school electric drill so the speed is determined by how far you push the button. It does have a lock to lock the power on at full speed but thats just an accident waiting to happen. When I used to work in limestone quarries, MSHA made us remove the locks from all our hand tools.

It would be difficult to use my drill press without building a really large table for it. These holes are in custom cornhole boards that I make and I usually cut the hole after they are built.

That should do the trick in half inch ply....go slow.
Yeah, this thing is a beast of a drill. I havnt chucked up the big hole saw yet but Ill find out soon.

Anyone know about when this thing was made?

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've been around tools and construction a long time and it looks to me mid to late 50's. Be really careful and feed slowly. I once got a broken rib with one like that when the hole saw jammed and the side handle came around and got me. Those slow speed drills don't stop instantly when you release the trigger.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
I don't know about it's age but, when you are finished with all your holes, I'd double your $$. That looks like a keeper.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have about 4 to 5 of these old 1/2 inch drills, some that I use on an on-going basis. Like they said, be careful, because the torque will throw you for a loop if you're not careful. At 650 rpm and with a variable speed, it should be fine for hole sawing.

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually just asked myself the same thing earlier. Why have I not been doing this with a router? I really dont know. I guess it just never crossed my mind up untill this point. I had been using a jig saw but I cant cut a perfect circle so I got the big hole saw. My 18v DeWalt dosnt like that hole saw at all. It bogs down pretty good. I guess Ill give this drill and hole saw a whirl and see how it goes. If I run into any issues, Ill look into doing this with a router.

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know about it's age but, when you are finished with all your holes, I'd double your $$. That looks like a keeper.
The problem with that is, Im never finished with all the holes! Lol

These holes get cut into custom cornhole boards that I make. I typically get orders for 8 to 10 sets of boards a year but I recieved that many just this Christmas and I have another 4 or 5 sets to be ready by Spring. Cornhole has taken over my shop. Between that and work, I cant seem to even get started on my own projects, lol.

I know most of the world isnt familiar with Cornhole. Its mainly in the Midwest right now. It started in Cincinnati OH and has spread from thier. Its a game played similarly to horse shoes but you throw corn filled bags. Its a ton of fun. In the summertime, we can kill an entire day day throwing cornhole bags!

Reactions: mikeswoods
1 - 10 of 10 Posts